1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wind turbulence/wind booming while driving with the windows down?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by deliciousirony, Jul 15, 2007.

1. deliciousirony

deliciousirony New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.

I have always been very interested in the Prius.
    On a trip to LA, I rented one for a week. I loved it. But there was one thing that really bothered me...

While driving with the driver's side window down, above 25 mph, the wind turbulence inside the car was very bad. In fact, the wind made a loud 'booming' sound periodically, about once per second, depending on speed.

I tried different combinations of rolling down other windows etc to try to counteract it. but no avail. I suspect it might be an artifact of the aerodynamic design of the car.

I'd love one of these cars, but I'd hate to have to drive it with the windows up all the time (and possibly have to use the AC, which where I live, you never need AC - just roll down the windows if it gets too hot). And I love driving w/ the driver's window down for some reason. :)

I tried searching around for this phenomenon, but I couldn't find anything (maybe I was not using the right keywords). So is this an known issue? Anyway to correct it? (maybe some sort of wind deflector on the door?)

Thank you.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've driven with the windows down over 25 and haven't noticed a "booming". But the wind does whip around. I usually don't have more than one down and usually not more than half because the car is so aerodynamic the wind does whip inside. I don't like a lot of wind buffeting me. (And messing up my hair).

For fuel economy no one usually drives with the windows down over 40 mph anyway.

I don't think the window deflectors will help much. I think that's mostly so you can crack the window when it rains.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most modern aerodynamic cars have problems with open windows when driving at speed (anything other than dead slow). This is because the open window or windows disrupt an otherwise very smooth airflow, setting up a low frequency oscillation (booming). Often you can find a configuration that will minimize this effect. With the Prius, I find that opening the back windows half way will allow one or both front windows to be opened without the booming effect. You may have to play around a bit to find the configuration that works the best for you, but it's not hard to do.

Tom

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I do all my driving (except in rain) with the windows down. The booming is always due to one of the rear windows being down with the front windows mostly up. I have experimented a lot. For least turbulance. Have the drivers side window down and the window just behind it partially down. For good turbulance have the front window down and the rear window up or mostly up. For really distracting oscillations, have the rear window down with the front window up, or mostly up.

Spartacus likes this.
  5. deliciousirony

deliciousirony New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jul 15 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]479133[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Tom. I suspected as much. I only had the car a week, so I didn't really try playing around w/ window configurations that much.

Glad to hear this booming can be alleviated.

6. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I notice the wind buffeting sound too. I roll down the drivers window a little bit, and also roll down the opposite side rear window a little.(the other two opposite side windows are up) This combo eliminates the buffeting sound. If I roll down one of the two windows too much, the sound returns when highway speeds increase. Also, I believe having the outside air vent open helps somewhat, as opposed to the recirculate position selected. Even if its real hot outside, I will roll all the windows down when I am sitting at a stop light. Hot weather doesn't bother me much, I actually like it. On the other hand humidity and heat will usually cause me to run the AC on AUTO with the temp controls just cool enough to feel the effect of air conditioning.

No wind deflectors installed here.....

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did put the deflectors on mine, and I think it helps a little.

8. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delicious Irony @ Jul 15 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]479126[/snapback]</div>
    From what I read recently....a sunroof would take care of your dilemma! :)

9. Randy G.

Randy G. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    PT Cruisers have the same issue. In the owners manual it tells you about it and recommends that you lower one of the rear windows slightly to cure the problem.

The phenomina was described to me like this...it's as if you are sitting in a bass pipe of a pipe organ. Wind enters the open window and creates a low frequency "whistle."

Interesting stuff. The PT and Prius share one thing, they are both a musical instrument (sort of).

10. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have heard objectional wind turbulents while driving my 07 with a window down, but nothing I would call booming, and nothing that wasn't minimized by lowering the oposite rear window a couple inches. I think you should try the window thing out on a test drive of a new Prius to see if it may have been a unique problem with the rental.

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another reason to use the A/C is to keep the traction battery and associated electronics cool. They get their cooling air from inside the cabin through the vent to the right of the rear seats. Too warm, and their performance (and thus your fuel economy) will suffer.

12. priussoris

priussoris New Member

I have also experienced the wind booming and it is loud enough to give you a headache. I had to roll up the front window quite a bit and lower the rear window some, played around with all the windows, since then we have added rain visors which helps very much in reducing the noise and vibration effect.
    Oh and have not really seen any hit in MPG since adding the rain deflectors/visors

13. Malarkey

Malarkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Randy G. @ Jul 15 2007, 07:47 PM) [snapback]479317[/snapback]</div>

Was just going to post this. We've had 2 PT's for the last several years and the degree to which they do it is extreme. It can literally make you sick and will really hurt your ears if you open just one rear window while doing anything over about 45 MPH. Will be interesting to see if the Prius's shape does it less or more.

14. ACORNBLUES

ACORNBLUES New Member

What have ppl been driving. i've had that problem w/ my '99 then "new body style" jetta. it was suppose to be rather aerodynamic.

OT - old diesels making a comeback... makes me cringe. unless the new diesel blend reduces most of the emissions.

OT - all those things the media have been calling us are so baseless... please, if we are so image conscience, then what about all those luxury vehicle owners. smug!? no. i bought my prius so i can curb my lead foot and my road rage :p. lates

15. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I seldom have my windows down at highway speeds, so I thought I'd try to create this turbulence boom last night, on a stretch of my commute where I hit about 50mph... I got it, with a little experimentation on various window settings... and it really coincided nicely with a song on my ipod, that had a heavy bass track... suddenly, I had this super subwoofer effect going on!
    (But yes, the next song up was much softer, and the subwoofer effect definitely didn't help! ;)

16. deliman31

deliman31 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delicious Irony @ Jul 15 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]479126[/snapback]</div>
    I usually get this when I open the two back windows at the same time and drive above 45mph. It is annoying, but as it has already been noted here, it can be reduced, if not eliminated by configuration.

Deliman31

17. redriley

redriley New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our dog who owns the back seat hates the booming and would rather ride in my Tacoma if given a choice. Interestingly, as long as her head is out the back window, it creates enough turbulence to break up the booming effect, but as soon as she pulls her head in, it starts booming again. So, one way to solve the problem would be to drive with your head hanging out the window. :rolleyes:

18. dtuite

dtuite Silverback

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been driving for 50 years, and until cars routinely had air conditioning, I drove with the drivers window down in clement weather. (Too far to reach across and crank the passenger window.) The frequency response of my left ear is severely compromised, a fact I correlate with that open-window driving. (Since I have used earplugs religiously in small aircraft and and motorcycles.) YMMV, but have a care.

19. justin time

justin time Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the side effects of the elimination of the wind wing. They did work, but went the way of the Dodo.

Put on a set of side window deflectors and it made a big difference. Another added benefit is you can drive with a window cracked in the rain with none getting in the car. The clip in Weathertechs were a 15 minute install and to me look better than the stick on type. Easier to remove as well. In Japan, just about everyone orders them with the car.

Spartacus likes this.
  20. 100mpgPRIUS

100mpgPRIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I also noticed this low frequency oscillation (booming) when I powered down the rear window. After a few tests while driving the rest of the way to work, I realized it was not serious. When I only take the drivers side window down it's fine. I love this forum and I love my Prius. It truly feels GOOD to drive all week on one tank ($25) of gas (gas is $3.79/gal). I just traded in my 2005, 18 mpg truck for a 2008, 48 mpg PRIUS!! I love it