1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window cleaning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by darwin100, Jan 25, 2006.

1. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

I am having trouble cleaning and keeping the front window clean....it keeps getting smeared and smugged and then at night it is fogged and very difficult to see.
    I have tried the rainX defogger, windex and just plain water...I have used soft rags, paper towels, sponge and a chamois.
    Any other suggestions?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Stoners Invisible Glass Cleaner. Seems to last a month or so depending on how much pollution is in the air. I clean it with a good glass cleaner and then go over it again with Stoners to remove all the stuff left behind.

3. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If the Stoner's doesn't work, try a 6 inch Ettore squeegee from Home Depot. Spread a towel on the dash to catch drips. Use a couple of drops (max) of Joy on a wet terry cloth towel and wash the inside of the windshield with it. Use the squeegee to take off the water and then a clean terry cloth towel to wipe the areas you miss or where it's still wet. Don't use too much Joy.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the interior, use Windex ammonia free. Be sure to fold the cloth/paper towel over cause after two wipes from top to bottom on the windshield and it's dirty. After that, tear a page off a newspaper and crumple it. Use that to 'polish' the surface. You'll probably need two pages for the windshield. For anti-fogging, try using shaving foam.

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A micro-fiber towel that is made for glass does wonders! Once you've cleaned the glass well with a good glass cleaner, you can then clean it "dry" from then on. Just using the towel. Once you use a good micro-fiber towel, it is tough to go back to anything else And a clean windshield does not fog as easily, and it defogs much quicker when it does get foggy. I find that the best defogging solution is to just keep the thing clean.

Something to keep in mind is what you treat the interior surfaces of your car with. If you use something like Armorall, that stuff will soon climb right up onto the windshield and give you trouble. Stick with something good for interior treatment. I personally swear by 303 Aerospace protectant. Oh,and don't smoke in the car, put kids in the car with food or drink, or carry slobbering dogs. :)

An old detailer's trick is to use a "used" anti-static dryer sheet as a final window wipedown after it is all clean. That removes all lint, and keeps stuff from sticking back to it. Really works! Just run one through the dryer, and keep it in a Zip-lock bag.

(oops, is my anal-retentive side showing?)

Good luck!