1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

window deflectors....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by desertbriez, May 28, 2007.

1. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

those of you that have the window deflectors.... do you have the ones that go in the windo channel? or the ones that go on the outside and stick on with 3M tape?

if you have the in channel ones.... how do they work with tint..... i mean... does it make a tighter fit and possible cause the tinting to come off (or am i worrying about nothing?)

as for the tape.... i've had several cars that we've used the tape ones... and all worked well.... however on
    our MDX the tape didn't stick.... the edges were coming up.... one finally blew off on the highway....

anyways.... what do you priuschat-ters use/like?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ May 28 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]451033[/snapback]</div>
    Mine were installed with the 3M tape and have been through car washes several times with no problems in 3 years+. They came with alcohol wipes to clean the mounting surface.

The channel type only come in contact with the outside of the glass, the tint is on the inside.

3. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ May 28 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]451033[/snapback]</div>
    I use the channel type. I chose them because I don't like sticking tape or stickers of any kind to my car.

They fit in the outside channel and do not touch the tint...I love them.

4. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    On our Acura MDX (which we traded-in towards the new Prius) I used the CHANNEL TYPE that actually had "adhesive tape" internally (hidden inside channel track) that really locked them in place. I believe these were made by WeatherTech, the floor mat people ?? They looked sooooooo much more "professional" than the "external-double-stick-tape" ones, sooooooo much better !!!!!!!!!
    It was "strange" installing them was you have to make sure no silicone or any "lube" on the rubber weatherstripping in the window (wipe thoroughly with alcohol-base Brake Cleaner) and then you "bent" (actually bowed) the rain-deflector and slid it in place, then rolled up the window to get the adhesive to "lock" it in..............
    Like I described, they actually are attached by the adhesaive to the rubber (or felt) inside the upper window channel as well as being held in by slight "pressure" too. When the window goes "up" against it, it is really, really "tight" but the window closes correctly. Being the "tint" in on the INSIDE of the window, this tightness should have no effect on the tint, unless the tint might have been put on sloppily around the top edges ??

5. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I used the tape mounted deflectors on my 04 and bought the channel deflectors for the 06. I like the way the channel deflectors look but they rattle a bit. I'd probably go for the tape ones in the future.

6. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David @ May 28 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]451160[/snapback]</div>
    On the Acura not a single rattle....... remember, top quality, made-exactly-for that vehicle, Weather-Tech, NOT Wal-Mart, stuff. The deflectors slid into the "inside top window track" as well as being held there by a very strong "adhesive strip" that ran the length of the deflector. I can't see this brand NOT giving a repeat, stellar, performance when installed on a Prius........... IF INSTALLED CORRECTLY !!

http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvproduct...CustomerVehId=0

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ May 28 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]451033[/snapback]</div>
    Chances are either you DIDN'T thoroughly clean the wax and/or road grime off the surface........ alcohol-based Brake Cleaner (By WURTH), spray on a rag and wipe, repeat a few times - or the adhesive strip THEY put on was NOT applied correctly. Remember, wind "cups" under these at 75 MPH........so all-in-all the "external" mounted WD's are JUNK ...... all of them !! Read my post (above) about the Weathertech made "internal" ones............ THEY WORK and WORK WELL !! :D

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I have the Weathertech ones on order through the dealer. They are the stick-on type for the Prius. At least that's what they told me. I'll see in a few days. They are on "backorder".

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't have any for the Prius... but can comment on past cars. Every "in channel" type I bought never worked right. The fit for the glass became so tight that several bad things would happen - like the window auto-reversing instead of auto closing.

I've never had trouble with the stick-on ones, and I've taken them off after five years with NO issue (the buyer didn't want them on).

They may not look as good, but I've had no problems with the stick-on ones, and nothing but problems with the in-channel units.

9. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 29 2007, 01:36 AM) [snapback]451337[/snapback]</div>
    I guess we were very "lucky"..... very "fortunate" with the installation of the "internal-in-the channel" WeatherTech's we put on our '03 Acura MDX. They fit excellently, installed easily and worked great.... sure when the front windows (only the front) were "rolled-up" there was a slight feeling of "tightness" as the window wedged itself in that upper track ALONG with that thin piece of plastic from the window deflector, but never an "auto-reversing" window motor or "jam-up" of ANY sort !! Perhaps the Acura was the exception because of a much wider window channel or much more powerful window motor ???? Like I wrote, I have NOT installed these "internal" type on a Prius, just the vehicle I mentioned........ which certainly must be a different situation, then !!

If you do install the "external" type, just be patient enough to thoroughly CLEAN off ALL wax, dirt, etc. from the area the external channel is to "stick-on" !! I like Wurth (alchohol-based, NOT Tri-Chlor 1,1,1) Brake Cleaner....... won't hurt the paint but will strip wax, grease, etc. right down to the "squeaky-clean" paint and make for the best adhesion you can get !!

10. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Go with the WeatherTech internal channel mount..looks nice and you don't have to worry about the yahoos ripping them off. I have used the internals for the last four vehicles...I swear by them.

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base