1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window Fog

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by terkar, Apr 13, 2004.

1. terkar

terkar New Member

Several times now I have noticed fog on the inside of the windows. Climate control is off, its raining and in the mid 40s. Very irratating. Has anyone else noticed this? I did see a product called Rain-X anti fog in the store and wonder if anyone has used this?

2. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

Yes, this has happened to me also. It seems to fog up much more than my old car - not sure why. Have not taken any steps other than to turn on the defrost button for a few minutes. I also would be curious about an anti-fogger.

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rain-X is for the outside of the windows. Just turn on the climate control and it will clear your fog from the inside of the windows. It is designed to remove the humidity and it works well. You ca turn it off when the windows are clear.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is normal, you probably didn't notice in other cars b/c you usually had some air flow. If you have CC totally off there's no air flow and in the condition you described the windows will fog. If you turn the CC to MAX Cold, AC-off, on the defroster/foot setting with a moderate fan rate it will often help prevent this from developing in the first place.

I did try the Rain-X anti-fog and either didn't do it exactly right or something, but ended up using windex to take it off b/c the windshield was pretty cloudy with it. I may try again in warmer weather (it was in the mid-40s when I applied it), but my inital experience wasn't too great.

5. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Plese also check to see if the "Recirulate" switch is on or off.

If it is on, you will build up humidity i your car. Turn it off, and allow fresh outside air to circulate through the cabin.

Also, you can se the remp at about 72 (assuminmg outside is colder) and run the air. The heated, conditioned air will remove humidity.

My be is that you have air recirculating. If so, you will lsways have stale, humid air in the cabin.

Bob

6. riskable

riskable Junior Member

I noticed it too... Then I also noticed I was running with the A/C off and not really pumping air in from the outside. The car remained a suitable temperature so I never noticed.

I do have to gove Toyota props for making an excellent defroster function. Blows away that fog like nobody's business.

Now that I've learned how to turn the "vent" on (MAX COLD trick), I haven't had the problem. YMMV.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    I have used RainX anti fog version and it simply does not work in any car!!

in fact it seems to create a permanent fog!

but the defroster works great so i see this as a non issue. also cracking the window a touch will do it too, but i hate to do that because the car is so quiet it makes the wind noise seem terribly loud.

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I sometimes have a similar problem in my '95 Odyssey. I think the shallower sloped windshields and long dashs tend to trap humidity a bit more. The Odyssey climate control is not as fancy as the '04 Prius, but the same basic rules apply - defrost, outside air, fan and heat if needed.
    I tried RAIN-X (outside) after reading about it here. Remarkable stuff. At about 25 mph the water droplets start to collect and run up the windshield. At 55 the water streaming up is like a Star Trek view, especially when it is dark out. At that speed, you can see quite well even if your wipers are stopped. Would have been handy for my mother-in-law the time her blade ripped and she scratched a nasty arc in the windshield since she didn't feel safe stopping on the interstate!
    Does anyone know if you can use it in the bathroom shower? We use a squeegy but the soap still starts to build up. Maybe this would keep it from sticking!

9. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I find that when ever I have the air conditioner or heater off, the windows fog. But if the heater or air are on then they won't fog up.

Brian

10. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Bob hit the nail on the head. Make sure the "Recirculate" button is set so you're bringing fresh air in from outside. You will see a light on the dash if the recirculate button is just recirculating air. The light goes off if the button is set to let fresh air in.

11. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Rain-X on the outside of the windshield is a big SAFETY plus. It is great stuff and really helps keep the windshield clear even in the worst downpours. If your wipers fail, you can still drive safely.
    As far as inside fogging, I had a problem with it but noticed that I had turned the side vent to the left of the steering wheel off, and after I opened it up there was no problem. Only the driver's window was fogging - guess I'm a hot and steamy kind of guy! :oops:

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well you got the concept right. RainX is nothing more than a super fine glass polish. the reason water runs off the windshield is because RainX polishes the glass making it slippery and smooth.(it would be very shiny if mirrorized)

on normal unpolished windshields the surface has pits, scratches, and other surface inperfections. this enables water to stick to the windshield.

if polished and the surface is smooth, then the water has nothing to grab on to and slides right off.

now because of that principle, using your windshield wipers introduces scratches to the glass and will shorten the effective life of your Rain X coating. if you use Rain X and it is applied correctly, there will NEVER be a need to use windshield wipers.

about 10 years ago, i worked for a company that was located at the end of a long dirt road. if passing a vehicle going the other way, you were almost always splattered with mud when it was raining (mind you i live in the Pacific Northwest!!)

even with mud on the windshield, Rain X did the job. however, mud did shorten the life of the Rain X coating.

but other than that time working there, i could go 6 months on an application, and during that time, i never used my windshield wipers.

13. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Do you think it would work in a full-bore downpour?

Though we don't get much of that up here in the PNW -- the rain or drizzle is pretty constant (and frequent.) We seem to rarely get the 4-minute gully-washers I remember from the East Coast.

14. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The stuff is amazing. The water just sheets up and off the top of the windshield. The only time I use my wipers (when I have a fresh application of Rain-X) is while driving at night with close on-coming traffic. Once the car has passed, I turn the wipers off.
    I think it will work in a downpour as well as wipers. Even wipers have their limits in a true downpour. I remember having to pull off the road once outside of New Orleans... the wipers just couldn't keep up.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont ever remember a time when Rain X failed me.

and you are right, it rarely rains hard here.

at least not like some of the thunderstorms ive been in while living in Michigan. then we would get 6 inches of rain in an hour and a half.

but to be honest with ya, Rain is the most irritating when it is drizzling anyway. and it does A LOT of that here.

but as long as you keep decent speed up, and you only need about 30 mph+ and the wind is all you need to blow that water right off.

realize that when Rain X is working well, rain does not smear across the glass and blur vision. it beads up into balls of water because the surface tension of the water is much greater than the surface adhesion of the glass. (if rain X is working, then the surface adhesion is practically nil)

ive seen times when it was raining hard enough that i had little rivers around the edges of the windshield but the center of the glass is smooth and clear as clear can be. the rivers form only because water sliding off the glass hits the trim around the glass and that slows its exit somewhat, but the center of the glass has no such problems.

best i can say is try Rain X. make sure you follow the directions real good and do the best you can when applying it.

i predict that when it rains, it will take you less than a second to see the difference.

16. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

I'm guessing that Rain X would not be as useful on the rear window due to low air flow??

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmm good question... never tried it...

but you overlook a very important concept.

because of the reduced surface tension of the windshield being lower than the surface tension of water, the rain will bead up on the glass instead of adhering to the glass in uneven smear that blurs vision.

i predict that it will still be clearer even without the wind blowing directly on the glass because of the beading phenomena

18. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is very effective on the back window. I didn't get the wiper and have used Rain-X since I got the car. There is plenty of air flow across the back window. I have ben amazed at the way the side windows are cleared of rain by the great air flow across them too. I have not treated them with Rain-X yet.

19. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Certainly true! I did the "apply to 1 side of the windshield" scientific experiment the first time I used it so I could compare. We drove to my in-laws' 35 miles away. I could see fine, my wife couldn't see a thing. The only down side to the experiment was that I HAD to run the wipers because she couldn't see. Did both cars as soon as I had the opportunity after that. Doesn't really help much in the winter here though. Gets lost in the ice scraping and all. I just redid both cars last week and I don't mind if it wants to rain some :)

20. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Certainly true! I did the "apply to 1 side of the windshield" scientific experiment the first time I used it so I could compare. We drove to my in-laws 35 miles away. I could see fine, my wife couldn't see a thing. The only down side to the experiment was that I HAD to run the wipers because she couldn't see. Did both cars as soon as I had the opportunity after that. Doesn't really help much in the winter here though. Gets lost in the ice scraping and all. I just redid both cars last week and I don't mind if it wants to rain some :)