1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

window malfunction

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by no windows, Feb 16, 2006.

1. no windows

no windows New Member

I bought a new 2006 Prius and the windows (other than the driver's) do not work. the dealer has replaced the window swithc and fuse box. They still do not work. They are now planning to replace the radio amplifier. has anyone else had or heard of a simliar problem?

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It sounds to me that either the window lock-out button on the driver's arm rest is pushed, or malfunctioning, the wiring is bad, or whatever the button is connected to is malfunctioning.

The Prius is my first Toyota, and much to my dismay, I discovered that unlike every other car I've owned, the window lock-out button that keeps passengers from opening and closing windows even lock out the driver's armrest controls from opening and closing the passenger windows.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I thought the same thing at first. Then it occured to me that the dealer is looking at the car.

Oh puh-lease tell me that's the first thing they checked.

4. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    FWIW, the window lockout switch on my Integra locks out the driver controls as well. I figure this switch essentially breaks the circuit so no control would work...?

I assumed the Prius (and most other cars...?) worked in a similar way, but I could be wrong.

Ditto what TonyPSchaefer said - I sure hope the dealer checked this switch before they started changing stuff... though nothing would surprise me... I came across a few seriously incompetent Honda/Acura dealer over the life of my Integra... <_<

Kevin

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ok. here's my husband's best shot at diagnosing a problem over the internet. (you're new around here so i'll tell ya he's a toyota tech, working on prius certification)

he's assuming here that the switch they replaced was the master switch in the driver's door. the window lock switch would be a part of that whole assembly. but we don't really understand what fuse box you're talking about...

can we assume that the windows do not work with the driver's switch or any individual switch? you didn't mention this.

have they checked the power window ecu? any combination of weird things can happen with a screwy ecu.

and... what exactly does the radio amp have to do with the power window system? DH has heard that some company has their amps tied in to the power windows for some kind of window-related volume control... but we don't know if that's toyota or not. he doesn't have wiring diagrams with him tonight.

his opinion is that if the switch has been replaced and it's still out... he'd check out the power window ecu, which may or may not be a part of the body ecu, like i said he doesn't have diagrams with him.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No windows: *You* go out right now and fiddle with the lockout button, as previous posters implied. Don't assume that the dealer tried it.

If you haven't yet, thumb through the entire owner's manual. You don't have to read the parts that don't apply, and you don't have to do it all at one sitting.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    assuming when they replaced the window switch, they replaced the whole assembly... the lockout switch wouldn't be the problem because it would have been replaced.

i thought the lockout switch deactivated all windows... will have to check on that on my way out of here tonight.

8. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I replaced the front speakers I had a similar problem and it amounted to the driver's side switches not being well seated in their plugs. The dealer should be able to figure this out fairly easily because once you look at the wiring diagram its quite obvious where the "signal" goes and how it can be interrupted.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My 1990 Ford Probe wasn't like that. The lockout just worked on the passenger's door.

That would be an interesting mod. Would it be possible to disconnect a wire and allow the driver to operate the windows?

10. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

That would be a terrific mod, to still let the drivers panel control the "locked out" windows. (Kinda like GM) :eek: