1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window quirkiness

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ginseng, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Ginseng

Ginseng New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I've taken to listening to audio books from my phone in my Prius by attaching the audio jack and setting the audio to AUX. I have to turn the volume way up to be able to hear the audio book, and need to remember to turn the volume back down otherwise I get terrible feedback when I connect the jack to my phone. I forgot to do that one day, and the squealing was terrible. It must have shorted something in my car, as my dashcam connected to the lighter outlet in the front no longer worked. I replaced the fuse, and it corrected the lighter outlet problem. Then I noticed that the passenger rear window was acting funny as well. My daughter can roll her window down, but not back up. However, from the driver's seat, I can roll that window back up. I checked all of the other fuses under the driver console, and they look fine. I also reset the windows as per the manual (by rolling the window part way down, and then rolling it up and holding the control there). I'm at a loss for what else to try. My daughter is quite moody about her not being able to control her own window...another blown fuse but this time from the joys of having a pre-teen. Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you can make the passenger rear window go up and down from the driver's door switch, there is no problem with fuses or the window mechanism. The problem is with the switch at the passenger rear door, which needs to be replaced.

Skibob likes this.
  3. Ginseng

Ginseng New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I tried resetting the windows again, and now the passenger rear control works, but intermittently and slowly like it's struggling. And sometimes I can't control it (had to reset the windows again to make the driver controls work on it).

I'm not sure if it's related, but my backup camera sometimes stops working (just a black screen). Sometimes my dash (the display with my speed, miles, etc...) doesn't come on too. This all happens seemingly randomly, and it comes back on just as random. I'm thinking there's a loose connection somewhere but I don't know where to look.

Thanks for your ideas!

2009 Prius (217K miles)

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, one obvious place to look would be at the window switch itself.

The combination meter is a known weak point and will eventually fail. The MFD also is another known weak point. Unless you notice that they simultaneously fail, in which case you would look for a power problem, I would consider their failure behavior to be separate events. The remedy would be to replace those units.