1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window tint question. Corroding battery??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Zeus661, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Zeus661

Zeus661 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went to a local shop in Toledo, Ohio (TST Appearance) and was told that certain window tint film can cause the battery to corrode and destroy it. Something about metal particles in the film. They had the film that would be ok but to tint all but the windshield the price would be $399. This is on my 2013 Prius.

Anyone ever heard this before?

2. Boshingtang

Boshingtang New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like they were just trying to upsell you on the more expensive tint film.

3. Zeus661

Zeus661 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is a fair price to pay and is Ziebart any good?

4. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You have to go back with a camera crew and get him to explain, most entertaining concept, he might, with proper coaxing, explain that red tint attracts martians;)

5. mnsweeps

mnsweeps Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ROFLAMO !! Thats a rip off ! I just tinted my 2012 Prius yesterday with 3M tints at a local place in LA for $149. Its got lifetime warranty and looks cool ;-)

6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Suffice it to say, this corner of the country isn't a hotspot for tint jobs.

7. Buckley

Buckley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was going to say the price sounds like a pretty average retail price for tint, at least in the Chicago area. $149 for the whole car sounds exceptionally cheap. Maybe the popularity of tint in CA drives down the price? If not, nice job getting a great deal. Tint is pretty inexpensive material, so you are really paying for labor. The guys I know who do tint work on the side usually charge between $200-$250. So I wouldn't call asking for $399 a rip-off, if it is done well and warrantied, but I think you could ask for more off the price, or get a few quotes. If you tell the shop you know a guy in CA who paid $149 to get their tint done, they will probably tell you to take it there. If you tell him the shop 25 minutes away quoted you $250, they will probably work with you.

I've never heard anything about metallic flakes in tint and battery issues. That sounds like a half baked theory, or a "it happened to a friend of a friend" type deal.

8. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

$149 here in Oklahoma

9. Austin5

Austin5 Go Bruins

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $139 in florida, lifetime, and he'll come to you.

10. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, that's wildass statement to make. Why not just put corrosion preventative on the posts of the battery like your supposed to?

I have a great report on window tinting: It was $150 to have all the side and back windows done in lifetime warranted 3M film. Then the guy demonstrated the 3M Crystalline film in a display case with a heat lamp.
    Holy Moly !! The heat does not come through this film compared to any other film he had !!
    So I upgraded to Crystalline on the back window and a strip at the top of the windshield. Out the door - $250.

Side Note: the other day while dealing with snow,:mad: I could easily see on the two windows with the Crystalline, the
    beads of wet snow had a weird yellow-green glow around their base. The side windows did not.
    Something is going on there ! I wish I had pulled out my phone at the time.
    All I need now is some warm sunshine to see what I can feel.... dang,,, Worst March ever.....

11. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Let's hope none of the auto parts stores that sell batteries have tint on their store windows! Here in Eugene, Oregon I got all window tint for $150.00 with lifetime warranty.