1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window Tinting Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by schmultzburger, Jun 9, 2004.

1. schmultzburger

schmultzburger New Member

Hi everyone!

I just got my salsa '04, and I really want to tint the windows, but I've come to find out that tinting the front side windows is highly restricted in NY. The NYSMV law says that the front side windows must allow at least 70% light transmission. I though at first that would be fine, but the local tinting shops say it is illegal to drive with the front sides tinted at all. They'll do the work (and take my $$), but they "are not responsible for any traffic violations"

So my questions are:

Does anyone know the light transmission of untinted glass?

Does anyone have any experience with restrictive tinting laws like this (particularly in NY)? Is it just on the books, but largely ignored, or do they actually enforce it?

Has anyone seen a Prius with just the back of tinted? Does it look good? (I think large vehicles - Minivans/SUV's - look fine with just the back tinted, but I'm not so sure about smaller cars.)

Thanks.

2. PetersPrius

PetersPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tinting

I just had my windows tinted here in NY. Mil.Silver prius. did a 35% tint on the sides and back. It looks fantastic and also keeps the car cooler.
    There are laws about tinting but they are rarely enforced! I figure I can talk my out of it ,if stopped for it, by showing the cop my prius with all it modern technological advances! I'm sure he'll be into it. They won't just stop you for window tinting. Better they stop the ones driving with hand-held cell phones, they are far more dangerous, than those with tinted windows.
    Also, if a cop stops you for anything, put the window down, turn off the motor and put your hands on the steering wheel. That will make him happy as he knows you are not going anywhere and have nothing in your hands [i.e. a weapon].
    Will post a pic with the tinted windows in a day or so.

3. siai

siai Junior Member

You can do a goggle search on "window tint" and get all the answers you need. I am going to have my '04 done. Here in Florida, we can tint down to 28% light transmission on the drivers and passenger windows and to 15% on the rest of the windows. These numbers include any tint on the base windows. There is a "AS" rating such as AS-1 for no tint, the higher the number the more tint in the glass. This needs to be factored in to get the total amount of light passage through the window. Some states allow a tinted band on the windshield down to the AS-1 line. This is marked on the windshield as a point at which the factory glass shading stops. Also you should review the different types of tint materials available. I sure would go with the best grades for solar protection on the Prius. Other then privacy, the other goal in tinting is reducing A/C load and thus better fuel economy.

4. paulisme

paulisme New Member

Re: Tinting

Um, how would they stop someone for using a cell phone if they can't see in because of the window tinting? I think the point of the law is so the cops can see the driver through the windows.

5. olends

olends New Member

i went to the NY law page, did a little research.

current NY law on window tinting:

The windshield must allow 70% transmitted light except for the uppermost 6 inches

all side windows (front and rear) must allow 70% transmitted light.

if the car has a side mirror on each side(most cars do) the rear window can be tinted as low as 0% transmitted light

the reason the shop thought it was illegal was, before 1991, it was illegal to have any tinting on any window.

i have seen enforcement, but it was very obvious. it was a shined up, chromed out new accura. never saw a trooper suv pull a u-turn like that.

long law link
    http://fornax.dmv.state.ny.us/scripts/righ...eated=998512823

6. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

I am going to tint my car aswell .I am also in Fl .Has anyone got a good price? I was wondering what I should and should not pay .. ? :roll:

7. PetersPrius

PetersPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I payed $175 for tinting the sides and hatch windows with Lumar film 35%

8. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How sturdy is this film? If you load your car with camping gear, will stray objects scratch the film off the windows?

9. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

OK so is $175 good or is it too much ..I thought the highest would be $150?

10. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Two weeks ago I had my Prius rear, side and all the small windows tinted with Lumar 35% tint. Also had a band installed across the top of the windshield blended into the screening behind the rearview mirror. Total cost $140 and the installer came to my house.

I like the looks of the tinting and it definitely keeps the car cooler particularly when driving in the Florida sun. Driving at night is a bit more difficult because of the tinted front side windows. I just have to pay attention and look a little more closely when pulling out onto a road at dusk before all the cars have their lights on.

All-in-all, I would do it again.

11. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

Thanks David

Do u find the auto Air does not stay on full blast as long as b4 tinting?

12. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The auto air now drops down to a quiet speed much faster and generally doesn't have to increase to compensate for the sun.

More telling, I don't have passengers moving to get out of the sunlight. They simply sit comfortably.

Highly recommended for southerners.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmm must be nice. my dealership offers the Lumar tinting but tinting the front windshield is illegal in WA St and they will not do it. also they charge 299$

just for kicks, i checked two other independent places and they will not tint the front either. so apparently, they enforce the laws around here more strictly (stricker?) than most. i did have the guy at one shop who said that some people have the sides and back professionally done then do the windshield themselves.

14. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

I called around and got a price of $130 .I have used this guy before on another car but that was many years ago. Anyone know if this is a good price? This company said they use the film with the metal in it and it will not fade or change color . I have gotten prices of $190 and $170...

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a great price if they'll really do it for that. Do they know about the tiny triangle windows in the front and the small triangle windows on the back sides (i.e. a total of 9 pieces of glass that need tint). You seem really hung up on price as regards this tint job. I'd be much more concerned about quality of installation and would be very much willing to pay $50+ more for what I knew would be a good install vs saving a few bucks and having to deal with bad cuts of the tint or bubbles or peeling later.

FWIW, I paid around $200 for my tinting here in SW Missouri, so all the quotes you've mentioned seem reasonable. If you have had a good experience in the past with the $130 place and they'll really do it for that then, by all means, go for it there.

16. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

Well I am going to stop by the place and show them the car so they can really see whats involved. I spoke to this company over the phone and he seemed to be familiar with this car .. Just to be sure $130 is really true I will go there and show the car .. I will let ya know.. The other one for $180 I showed the car and they did have concern how to get the tint in the little windows?

17. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Radar Detector Problems?

Hi Folks,

Has anyone had any problems with their radar detector after tinting? I understand the the better tint materials have metal sinter in them (usually the material guaranteed for the life of the car). I am using a Valentine One radar detector.

All info greatly appreciated!
    Tom

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    and exactly what would a law-abiding citizen like yourself use a radar detector for??

19. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

Well I got windows tinted for $110 today .. Looks good It has lifetime warranty ..So far I see small little bubbles in 2 windows but I think I have to wait 3 days to see if goes away. We will see...

20. turtleguybri

turtleguybri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A