1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window tinting and NAV system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by janrn, Jan 14, 2006.

1. janrn

janrn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have had my 2006 Prius for 2 weeks and I love it! I would like to get the back windows tinted, but the dealer told me not to tint the back window because it will interfere with the NAV system.
    Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks!

2. chinook-hybrid

chinook-hybrid New Member

Janrn,

We had our 2006 tinted last week. There are several companies that offer film that is made specifically to not interfere with electronics. Due to the fact we live in the NW I didn't go on the dark side. We kept ours the legal 35% on all 10 windows. The company I went with used LLumar brand film (although there are other brands depending on your location that are just as good). Just make sure you ask the company who will be installing the film that it won't interfere with your electronics or get the products website and check for yourself.

Although it has only been a week, I have not had any problems with our NAV system or any other electronic device in the car. I don't expect to either. My installer stands behind his product for as long as I own it or until I sell the car. My cost was $350 for installation although I have heard of less; it depends on your location. The cost is in the install as the product is fairly cheap. Good luck.

3. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wanted to get my windows tinted also, but i've never done it before. is it always done with film and is it possible to undo it later? somehow i thought it was some kind of paint or electrocoating or something weird like that.

i have no idea where to go. i suspect the "normal" clientele for window tint places are people slamming their civics and stuff, and i don't want to get ripped off.

anyone have any recs for window tinting in the SF bay area?

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Unless they changed it with 2006 (and I doubt it) the GBS antenna for the NAV is under the dash behind the display, so even if tint was capable of interfereing, it wouldn't. Well, unless you tinted your windshield!

5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Your dealer is quoting from the manual, but the manual is wrong. This issue has been exhaustively covered in the Prius forums. Although there may be a theoretical chance of interference wih certain metallic films that most people don't use anymore, I've never seen anyone report an actual problem after having tinting done. As Danman points out, even if you used heavy metallic films, you still would not cover your front windshield, where the GPS antennae is. There are plenty of people, including me, who have tinting and have reported no problems.

6. olcorral

olcorral New Member

Just curious but on the 2006:
    What is the thingy on the dash front drivers side near the windshield? Isn't that the navigation? Actually there seems to be 2 things.
    It's dark outside right now and can't really look at it.
    Thanks.
    olcorral

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If it's like the '05 one is for the temp sensor and the other (I think) is where the sensor would be if the US had the auto lights.

8. janrn

janrn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for all the replies. I got the back windows tinted- it looks nice, and no problem with GPS.

Jan