1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window vents (for dogs)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by molly, Mar 30, 2005.

1. molly

molly New Member

Does anyone know where to purchase a side window vent for the prius? The Pet-Vent which fits most windows does not fit. My friend is having a tough time trying to find one that does. She is willing to have one made if there is nothing available out there to buy. I was hoping someone out there may know of a model that works. Thanks for your help.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Not sure how long you plan to leave the dog in the car, but if you have the 04/05, you could leave the A/C on and lock the car with the mechanical key. It won't use much gas to keep the car cool.

3. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Howdy,

DanMan32, this is just what I do. However, I recommend that you also put a sign in the window explaining how the air is on in a locked car. In Reno, the Good Citizens via the cops will break into a car if they think an animal is in danger; you get the repair bill as well as a ticket (this usually happens during our hot simmers).

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Set the MFD to continuously display climate control. But that can be misunderstood by the unfamiliar, so I agree with the sign.

5. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This summer I am planning on using the Auto A/C feature so my pooch can go LOTS more places with me. A couple possible hazards I've come up with -

-Power windows. I try to ALWAYS remember to keep child safe on, even when I"m in the car, so Riley doesn't learn to use them. It would only take a couple of times to roll down the window by accident before he would be doing it all the time, and his favorite thing is to jump out the window for kicks and see me get all upset. Since the driver window doesn't shut off (or child safe be accidently disabled) this could be an escape route

-Power Button - If he hits it no more A/C not good! Being behind the steering wheel I can't imagine him putting his paws up there on the dash but a small dog might try to see out the window better.

-Running out of gas- If this happens you are leaving your dog in the car WAYYYYY too long. But must always make sure enough gas, especially if it's very hot outside, since the engine will be running quite a bit, and of course enough for later.

-Shifting into drive - Probably the most dangerous but least likely to occur. If Riley can figure out a way to press the brake and hit the shifter, I'd be dying to see it. If I thought he could do it I'd have to scrap this idea and not leave him alone with power on since this is so dangerous. Given the amount of pressure needed on the brake, it seems very unlikey to occur accidently. I should check if setting the parking brake hard would prevent creeping, certainly if the gas is pressed the car will move. If it does prevent creeping setting the brake would be a good emergency failsafe for this already unlikely event.

I think you can get out and lock from the passenger door with the driver door closed and power on (the system thinking the driver is sitting there) but I haven't tried it yet...else the manual key works. It sure tries hard not to let you lock your keys in! I spent forever figuring out a way to lock the door (should have just done a search here). I was going to make a window note, probably with my cell phone on it, since if it was hot out I would call the police if I saw an animal in the car. Prob when it's very hot your engine will be running often enough concerned people will figure it out before your car is ripped apart but note will be good in case PETA is standing by!

I figure I will make sure to be able to monitor him until I'm confortable everything is kosher and to see if he likes to hang out in the front seat. So far he's always been content in back of the Prius since he can see out so well and has so much room (and a comfy bed), but in my other cars he would jump back and forth. If I'm concerned about the windows or power button I'l look for a barrier between front and back (would also prevent putting in gear) It's hard to design something he doesn't figure out how to defeat given enought time. After he figured out how to open doors in the house I asked myself if a stupid dog wouldn't be such a bad thing?

Anyone else do the dog in car thing in the summer? I'm dying to know how it works and if anyone has pointers. Other dog owners I've talked to want a car like this JUST for this reason.. I don't leave him in the car for a long time but for road trips in the summer this would be SOOOO useful. When I drove from Chicago to Houston with the pooch last summer I had a whole routine for pit stops of blasting the a/c and freezing for 5 miles, driving around until finding a shady spot, running in as fast as I could, etc. The Prius would let me buy a sandwich! Definatly the most dog friendly car I've ever owned (the hybrid SUVs probably will be good too)

6. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molly\";p=\"77204)</div>
    Is this what your looking for:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.toyota-parts.ca/images/products/C0500-47014.gif

It is here.