1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windows don't move from the driver side switch but the do from the other doors

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by annies.taxi2, Jun 3, 2015.

1. annies.taxi2

annies.taxi2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just got a report from the wife that windows don't move from the driver side switchs but they do move from the other door switches and the sunroof won't move.

Could this be a fuse issue or something anyone else has seen?

I'll check fuses when I get home.

I would think a blown fuse would not effect the door switch functionality since the windows work on the other for switches but electricity always blows my mind

2. EddieDesigns

EddieDesigns Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on having to replace a driver's door power window switch in my Grand Prix about 10 years ago…since it is isolated to just that door, I am thinking you have a bad power window switch

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a similar experience, you can find the solution in the thread below. It just involves resetting the windows......on the passenger side, roll the window all the way down and then all the way up (while holding the button up for about 5 seconds after it's all the way up). After this, your driver's side buttons should work again.

Brand new car, power window buttons don't work | PriusChat

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I would switch seating positions......:cry:

5. annies.taxi2

annies.taxi2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately rolling passenger window down then up with a 5 second hold on top does not fix it for me

SunTzu2024 likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if none of the buttons work on the driver's side, then it's probably something got disconnected

7. annies.taxi2

annies.taxi2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just to clarify the goofy situation with these windows and sunroof.

Here's what works:
    1. The driver side window switch for the driver door only.
    2. Each window switch for each other door on that specific door.
    3. The window lockout button is functioning correctly when I turn it on or off.
    4. The door lock switches also are all fine

What does not work:
    1. The three switches on the driver door for the other three doors.
    2. The sunroof switch for opening the sunroof on the headliner.

I pulled all the fuses for the doors and accessory outlets and they are good. I could not figure out how to remove the 30 amp sunroof fuse...

The recalibration of the passenger auto up and down did not change anything.

I'm at a loss for how to proceed next

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It could be a possible loose wire harness connector inside of the passenger door.................

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check to see how much the driver's side switches cost.

On a GM, they're about $30 and you can replace them with a few simple tools in well under an hour.
    It's not uncommon at all for them to fail, especially if you've ever left your windows down. (**)
    The module looks something like this:
    [​IMG]

Try not to let a dealer near this problem. If I'm right, they'll charge you over a hundred dollars for a fix that should be well below that.
    Good Luck!

(**) Outside California.

10. annies.taxi2

annies.taxi2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok. Let me get this right.

Loose wire harness on which door should I check first? I'd assume driver door but...

Its the driver door that is failing to control any other window.

Plus the sunroof isn't working

11. Maj

Maj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds like my car when I bought it. If the lights on the non-functioning window switches are blinking, then it needs a reset.
    Windows don't respond to driver door buttons (and no, lock switch is not on) | PriusChat

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny how your link, and the link above in post #3, are supposed to cure the problem, but they are different, yet you both had success, yet the o/p didn't. hope fully yours will work.:p

13. annies.taxi2

annies.taxi2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update on my tricky windows. Reprogramming never did anything.

Sometimes all the switches work like they should....

Sometimes I lose functionality of the drivers side switches that control the other doors while retaining the driver side control at least. When I lose that functionality I also lose one touch up down operation.

Sometimes my sunroof continues to work when I lose this functionality...... Sometimes I lose sunroof control. (My wife lost sunroof control yesterday while open and we got a nice thunderstorm......I already had told her to stop using the sunroof till we figured out this phantom electrical bug. But those wife's are funny critters.)

I almost thought it was a glitchy window lock switch but that doesn't explain the sunroof lose of control or the lose of one touch opperation.

I also never see any blinking lights on the window switches.

I'm super stumped though. Soon dealer is getting my money....

LG-D850 ?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her, and how long have you owned? perhaps mice chewing on wires, or just phantom electrical problems that need a pro to sort out. how is the 12v health?

15. annies.taxi2

annies.taxi2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 12 V battery is strong and has never had a problem starting. The car has 105,000 miles and I have owned it for a year. electrically it has been trouble-free up into about 1000 miles ago when I started running into these window problems

iPhone ?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you pulled the door panel for a look see yet?

17. Redi

Redi New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am also having the same issue on the drive side window. Did you fix it? How? Thanks

18. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would suggest back probing the master switch to make sure if you’re getting power. If you are getting power at the switch and the switch still doesn’t work, it’s the master switch that is faulty. If you’re not getting power at the switches, then I would look into the fuse. If the fuse is good, then I would check the wire harness for the switch to see if it’s getting power to the harness, and repeat till you trace the wire back to the power source.

19. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same issue came up for me suddenly today. Same symptoms for what works and doesn't work, except #3 and #4. The window lockout button doesn't lock the other windows out. The driver's side power lock switch doesn't work (passenger side power lock does work).

Other issues:
    - (a plus issue if anything:) )All the windows work (from their own door switch only) long after the car is powered off/doors opened instead of the usual 45 seconds or until a door is opened. But they work on the second tap of the button, not the first.
    - Auto down doesn't work.

@annies.taxi2 seems to be long gone. A search of this forum shows many related threads for my car's issue, most fixed by the window reset procedure of going around to all the different windows and lowering/hold at the bottom for 10 sec/raising/hold at the top for 10 sec. That isn't working for me. Those that were fixed by the power window reset procedure were often related to new 12V batteries. I haven't switched 12V batteries.

I have been sleeping in the car/road tripping so it's possibly moisture related? However, it's been dry the last couple days. I had the non-stopping rear wiper issue 4 weeks ago where I had to pull the fuse to stop it. Others have had that issue after getting windows tinted (too much water running down the inside hatch window) or driving for a long time in heavy rain. I popped the fuse back in just now and the rear wiper works normally again, so one issue self-resolved, but another pops up. Sometimes rainwater has fallen onto the window switches from keeping the windows cracked in the rain while sleeping inside, but, again, it's been dry for the past couple days.

#19 Lightning Racer, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  20. SunTzu2024

SunTzu2024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The 5 second down and uo did not fix the problem for me ,still looking for a solution. I have replaced the switch all ready. All windows work. Just not from switch.