1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windows Live Mail Beta

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What it is
    Fast and simple e-mail that makes it easy to read, send and organize your messages. The “beta†part means it’s a work in progress, so we need your input to make sure it’s built right.

What it gives you
    • Previews of your messages you can read without leaving your inbox
    • Drag-and-drop organization
    • One-click control over junk and scam e-mails
    • Right-click power—reply, delete, and forward
    • 2 GB of storage (2 GB = 2,000,000,000 bytes)

The above discription of Live Mail is one of Microsoft's new Live line of internet-delivered applications. http://ideas.live.com/

I signed up for Live Mail just to check it out. When I did, I received a message that in a few weeks they will send me an invitation. A few weeks?! Maybe if Bill Gates would stop giving people free trips to Disney Land for circulating emails, he would be able to process my activation a little faster. That was sarcasm.

The whole thing looks promising. I like the online ability drag and drop, click and drag, active right-clicking and message filtering. Sounds like a robust email client completely delivered online. Could this be a sign of the future where distributed applications reside on servers and we access them remotely? I do not know.

I'm not brave or curious enough to try the other Live things they have listed. Has anyone here?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ummm. well i signed up for gmail and never got an invitation, from them anyways... finally got it from someone else.

its scary enough to use regular ms stuff, betas hmmm i think i will wait an see

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. It's not totally clear to me that this is better than Gmail. The things that are different are the "Drag and Drop Organization" and the "Right-click reply, delete, and forward." For the most part, I've found Gmail to be a good, intuitive interface, and I'm not sure that I'd gain much from "Windows Live Mail."

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'm mozilla thunderbird all the way for my email client. and i use gmail.

screw microsoft :p

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    with gmail, if you do a decent job of categorizing your mail, its easy to archive and then bring them back up later. i like it and i personally dont care if gmail categorizes everything i do... at least they tell everyone they do it. microsoft does the exact same thing but they tell anyone to what degree they do.

6. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've tried the Online Mapping Package and that's just fantastic. Better (in some places ) even than Google Earth. Check out your address to see if they have high res photos.

Click the link above for visit http://local.live.com/ to check it out.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I actually don't like Live Mail (the new Hotmail). I like screen space, and it keeps you from being able to get a lot of screen real estate because of the stupid banners.

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm. Not bad. But, my feeling is, if you're going to introduce something after someone else, you need to improve on it significantly. Yes, the Online Mapping Package is pretty nice and easy to use, but that's mostly because it's very, very similar to Google Maps. And, also, the satelite coverage is not as good in my area (maybe it's better elsewhere).

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Considering how notoriously buggy MS software is, I'll let other folks use the beta versions. But I won't use anything from MS that's not built into Windows.

When I bought my previous computer it came with a year's subscription to Encarta online encyclopedia, owned by MS. All went well for the first few months, until someone I knew invited me to participate in an online chat board hosted by MS and requiring you to sign up for a free "MS Passport." From that moment on I could not log onto the encyclopedia. Apparently the MS Passport conflicted with the auto-log-on for the encyclopedia, and I had never been given a password: it was stored in the computer but with no way for me to get at it to log on manually.

No way am I letting MS Passport onto this computer, or any future one!

I use Yahoo mail, through which I have my own domain name, and I fetch my email via POP3 when I am at home, or via the web if I am travelling. Their Spam Guard is acceptable (worst weakness: the occasional false positive). The domain name and POP3 access are not free, but they are both cheap enough as to make no difference.