1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windows on Intel-Mac,

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by EricGo, Mar 19, 2006.

1. EricGo

EricGo New Member

There was some interest in this a while back, so here is the ? first working hack.

No accelerated video drivers, and in general driver messiness. Just like being on windows :)

2. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Yes that sounds just about right.

Overall, this looks good for dedicated enthusiasts who just HAVE to have Windows on a Mac.

However the process is not going to be attractive to someone not in the know. It involves blowing away your current install, repartitioning, reinstalling, creating a slipstream disc (good luck explaining that to the average user) and then mucking around driver hell for a while.

You really have to know what you're doing and what you're up against when you start out.

Could be fun to try, but I wouldn't bank on this as a must have.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why would anyone want to do this anyway? I thought the point of a Mac was NOT to have to do Windows. And if you have to use Windows...install Virtual PC. But installing Windows on a Mac makes it just as vulnerable to viruses as a PC. So...what's the point?

There are plenty of Mac versions of Windows software. So why not just use the software and forget Windows. (And make sure you DON'T use Internet Explorer no matter what machine you're using.)

BTW I use both Windows XT and Mac OSX at work. I use Windows because I have to run the Horizon library software and the Zangle student enrollment programs. I'm a school librarian. But I use the Mac for everything else. Especially the library webportal. I use the Macromedia Studio MX suite's Dreamweaver, Flash and Fireworks. I bought the latest upgrade just before Adobe took over. (And probably ruined it.) I also run Office for OSX, but only when necessary. I still use Appleworks because I use the database a LOT to organize my work. If iWorks had spreadsheet AND database in addition to the word processing, I'd buy it. Until it does....I'll keep using the old Appleworks software. Office doesn't have database so I don't bother much with it.

4. tcooper185

tcooper185 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Georgeous hardware. That's why. Ability to have a beautiful PowerBook, er, MacBook Pro on your lap with your own Windows software. Most of us PC users have so much $$ and knowledge invested in our software that we can't "switch" to Macs, but I'd love to tote a slim MacBook Pro around w/ my personal and company software on it.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    great if you cant afford two books. i dont like windows, i have a Mac 17" powerbook, but cannot avoid windows to save my life. i simply am not provided the option in all that i need or want to do.

however, i wont do this with my current powerbook. i might consider it on the intel processor but not with the moto

6. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Virtual PC does not work on a Intel Mac. No word from Microsquish on if or when it would be avaiable. There were indications that Windows Vista would move from using BIOS to EFI (Intel Macs have EFI instead of BIOS) so there was expectation that when Vista is released it could be used on Intel Macs. But Microsquish since indicated that only the 64-bit server version of Vista would use EFI.

Well, to me happines is avoiding Microsquish! :lol:

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got one of the last 'old' iMacs, instead of the new intel, so that Virtual PC would work. If I could do without Windows, I would. So far, the tax package works fine, but I'm having trouble with the accounting package. Despite the favourable testimony of several users, VPC is not 100% compatible, at least not in my experience. So, I may have to get that dell cheapo yet...switching computers twice in the middle of tax season is absolutely nuts.