1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windows open vs fan only vs climate control

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by MNdriver, Aug 23, 2017.

1. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've assumed that having windows partially open is the better choice for fuel (including EV) efficiency at low speeds but A/c would be the preferred choice for higher speeds. I don't know how fan only compares to windows down or climate control in the Prime.

Is there a rule of thumb for preferred cooling method (assuming they all impart sufficient comfort) by speed?

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Studies have been done.......but not recently.

The findings were:
    Opening the windows was NOT more fuel efficient because it increased the wind drag so much.

I am assuming that if all you need to do is offset the heating of the sun on an otherwise cool day, that a combination of fan-only and cracking a window or two would be a bit better than running the A/C. But then again, under those conditions the A/C wouldn't be using much power either.

I personally refuse to dwell on insignificant stuff like this.
    I leave the climate control on AUTO and don't worry about it.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    more importantly, if you are warm, so is your battery.

kenoarto likes this.
  4. Just.Drive.It.

Just.Drive.It. New Member

Here, There, Everywhere. Driving my Prius!
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You got a Prime, man! Just drive it. Stop fooling around with all those theories and enjoy that new car.

Windows down? Yeah, sure. Then you will be back here complaining about all the dust and dirt on the big black screen.

5. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I got 39.7 miles on my last charge and just want to see 40. :)

6. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good attitude.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    windows open up to 35 mph, closed with fan as long as you can stand it, then a/c.

mmmodem, kenoarto and MNdriver like this.
  8. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In SoCal where "nice days" are the norm, by default I drive with the windows a couple inches down on the other side of the car. If it's a really nice day, I might roll down my driver's side window all the way for a little bit, but my default is usually keeping mine closed, but rolling down a bit the two windows on the other side of the car.

I personally don't like aircon unless it's really hot or humid. Yes, there are times to use it, but while I know most people use it (or set a climate temp and close their windows) by default, I'd rather just open the windows a bit and get normal air (unless you're behind a polluting truck or something).

Having an open window would cause, at most, just a slight decrease of MPG -- certainly it's much better than having the aircon on. Just having the "fan" on might be ok, but for some reason I've never liked the quality of the air that comes through the vent when it's just the fan (regardless if it's set to recirculating or incoming air).

Pdog808 likes this.
  9. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    keep doing what you're doing and the Prime will surprise you ...

I drive with my right-side windows slightly cracked til ~80F, then AC ... battery doesn't like it too hot either ...

10. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The best option if you have the extra $$$ is to spring for the (much) more expensive ceramic tints which will keep your car cooler in all 3 scenarios! Well, maybe not if your windows are all the way down but who does that?

If you feel like risking it, tinting the windshield will greatly add to the heat reduction also.

Mark57 likes this.
  11. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yep, I got the ceramic tints - but followed the Minnesota law, so it's only a light tint.

I agree with stevepea, I like to drive with the passenger's side windows cracked. I only resort to A/C when we have extremely hot or humid weather, which isn't too often around here. I will switch to fan and/or AC for highway driving, but I don't do a lot of that.

Pdog808 likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Summer, we rarely if ever use AC and windows up. Just control temps with windows: rolled right down at low speed, progressively rolled up at higher speeds, open just an inch or two on highway. Easy.

Someone will be along shortly to say how it never gets warm in the Pacific Northwest. Maybe not suffering hot, but it has been a hot (and dry) summer for us.

Pdog808 likes this.
  13. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You mean it's not true that people in Washington and BC drive with their windshield washers on nonstop during the summer, just so they have a feeling of normality? :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    AC off, all windows down for the first couple of minutes. After that, all windows up, AC on auto and Eco with s-flow. Fan only with window down just blows hot air on you. That only works if it's cool outside.

15. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If wind is enough I use the fan;
    otherwise A/C

Either way the windows are closed
    The exception might be in the cabin interior has heated up after a long park. Then I drive with windows open for a couple of minutes. That is an usual case for me because I seek out shade or use the windshield sunshield with the windows cracked open.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that is an old rule, for traditional cars and their traditional inefficient AC systems.

In 2009, the Gen3 Prius introduced a new kind of expansion valve system, taking a significant step forward in automotive AC efficiency (previously used only in non-mobile systems). This stacked atop whatever gains the earlier generations made. So the windows-vs-AC crossover speed should now be lower.

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could very well be.(y)

18. Krzysiek_KTA

Krzysiek_KTA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree with that 100%.
    Here in Houston there is no option of driving without A/C, but first couple of slow miles with windows down and no AC to bring the interior tem to ambient one makes significant EV range impact.

Mark57 likes this.
  19. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've still yet to consistently break 40 EV range.

But yes, with windows open it's less efficient, I'd say at 35MPH+.

One other factor that seems to make a big difference is running your HV mode uphill. It seems on flats or small up-grades EV is more efficient overall.

I have a 50 mile trip and I try to bank my EV until the end, and/or get high MPG in the beginning and up the hills. The Efficiency Coach seems to evolve on how you drive and gives you the best economy. It seems to remember when I slow down right before the top of the hill before I glide down.

But...still waiting for my 40 EV range hah.

20. jungleland1972

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium