1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windows Vista Destop

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TimeFor, Jun 23, 2006.

1. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

I was running the latest Beta of Windows Vista until about an hour ago. It ran too slow of my computer for me to keep using it. Anyways, I'm gone back to WinXp and I'm missing my Favoirt destop background that came with Vista. I should have backed it up but I didn't think about it.

Could soming running windows vista send me the image? It was the Blue Light Arora desktop. I'm not sure where it was stored in the OS but there were a bunch to pick from so they must be in a pretty good size folder. I'm over the Windows XP background already and I really want to go back to that.

I checked online but I could only find the old windows vista backgrounds.

Thanks

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I ran it for a few days. But the reality that Norton doesn't have a beta of either Anti-Virus or Ghost yet made it only a temporary install for me. It worked fine, but then again my hardware is low-end and the audience for the OS is for new purchases (just like with previous versions). I'll be trying it again later.

Anywho, that animated background was pretty sweet. The still image was ok, but paled in comparison.

Later on when those betas do become available, I'll reupgrade. Sorry, I didn't save anything from the first play session with it.

By the way, with Ghost the restore of my previous partition image only took 14 minutes and was totally hands off once I clicked yes. That's very handy.

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Where can I download a vista demo/beta?

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Jun 23 2006, 12:51 PM) [snapback]275853[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista

5. Clar

Clar Member

how did you get animated background? All i can set is regular background.

anyway. TimeFor, pm me your email addr and i'll send you the desktop background.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What's everyone's overall impression? Is Vista an improvement over XP?

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 25 2006, 09:15 AM) [snapback]276454[/snapback]</div>
    I'm a lead programmer, so from that perspective I'll be thrilled when the new platform becomes the new standard. Most users won't appreciate architectural improvements, since most are invisible.

There are some interface advancements that won't get exploited by many for awhile, due to the rather extensive hardware requirements. But they be drawn to replace aging system for that very reason.

In the end, it will be a very good thing. That's my impression.

The real question is timing. How long will people continue to use desktops? The desire for notebooks will feed the move to the new OS. I'm seeing more families that don't have a family computer anymore. The older children are getting their own notebook instead.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 25 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]276454[/snapback]</div>
    There won't be much improvement over XP until MSFT drops a lot of older APIs on the floor.

Yeah, there are some new features available, but it mostly falls under the category of "eye candy" and "catching up with the other OS's".

If you've ever used a linux system that uses sudo for everything security related (ubuntu/kubuntu) or a mac, you'll be familiar with the new security system.

IE is still... IE. Which is to say, a steaming pile of crap. Only now it smells slightly less.

WinFS has been officially dropped, so if you want the uber search capabilities, you're stuck with Linux or OSX. Which is probably not a bad thing.

Architecturally speaking, it's just the same mish mosh that it's always been.

9. catmother

catmother IEEE Life Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am running Vista Beta 2 public preview as I type this. The requirements are fairly steep. All my computers are DIY and this one uses an Asus A8N-E Deluxe mainboard, Nforce 4 chipset AMD64x2 4200 processor. 2 GB memory and ATI X700 Pro display adapter with 256 MB.
    As for firewall/AV, MS has a built in link in the security control panel to vendors. I downloaded a free trial from TrendMicro which works well.

Main source of info for Vista that I use is the iexbeta.com forum. Lot's of good info there

http://www.iexbeta.com/

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd have liked to switch to Linux. I bought a copy of SUSE Linux and tried to install it on my Averatec laptop. I could not get it to run properly. I am computer literate, but not a tech. This distribution was clearly not ready for prime time.

Plus I use some proprietary software that I think is not available on Linux, like eFax and iTunes.

11. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Daniel: There are so many distros of Linux if one does not work just try another. It took about 9 tries before I found Kubuntu (KDE version of Ubuntu). I have a dual boot laptop. They have versions of eFax and iTunes I think. Hopefully, the new windows will be friendly with Linux.

12. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 25 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]276624[/snapback]</div>
    I would try Kubuntu if I were you... it comes on a LiveCD, and if everything runs to your satisfaction, you can install it right from the Live CD. It's a great way to put it through it's paces to make sure everything works before you install it.

I don't know much about eFax, although I do know there is faxing software available for Linux. There are iTunes solutions, which include running regular iTunes thru Wine, or running something like SharpMusique, which will let you purchase music from the iTunes store, then helpfully remove the protection for you. :)

13. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jun 25 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]276479[/snapback]</div>

I think you're spot on with that. I ditched my desktop about two years ago and replaced it with a laptop, it was one of the best things I've ever done. Most people I know are doing the same thing, most of my friends only have laptops now.

Is the Vista beta version compatible with laptops?

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seeh2o @ Jun 25 2006, 08:38 PM) [snapback]276706[/snapback]</div>
    I could only run the basics with my mine.

Vista will be pushing hardware requirements of laptop pretty intensely, which will actually spell the doom for desktops. A wireless laptop using a "Core Duo 2" processor at 64-bit along with video-card with 256MB dedicated memory plus a 200GB hard-drive viewed on a high-definition screen will be the system that will redefine the next wave of computer for people.

Of course, like anything else (especially hybrids) it will boil down to timing. When will it be affordable for the masses?

15. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jun 25 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]276728[/snapback]</div>
    Just to be clear, you don't need a 64-bit capable processor like the Core 2 or the Athlon64 to run Vista Premium.

64-bit capability for Windows Vista occurs as a separate x64 edition of the operating system just like it did for XP.. it is not a requirement, nor is there going to be native support for 64-bit for every version of Vista.

64-bit Windows Vista is going to have the same downsides as Windows XP x64. Driver support is not going to be as robust, and performance, ironically, will suffer compared to plain old 32-bit windows because of the added overhead of the larger 64-bit pointers.

64-bit, i'm afraid, is going to be way overkill for most consumers for the time being. Even when 64-bit capable Core 2s and Athlon64s computers start shipping with Vista to customers, I'm willing to bet they will be running 32-bit Windows Vista for better driver support and better performance on the vast majority of 32-bit apps.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 25 2006, 04:59 PM) [snapback]276667[/snapback]</div>
    That sounds interesting. And it's nice to know they have an iTunes clone, though I have no interest in stripping the copy protection.

eFax, however, is not the same as faxing software. eFax gives you a unique telephone number, receives faxes at that number, converts them to an email attachment, and emails them to you. The premium version lets you send faxes by acting as a printer driver, so anything you can print can be converted to an email attachment and emailed to eFax, who then sends it as a fax. Thus you can receive faxes for free without a phone line. If you pay for the premium service, you can send them as well. It's not for everyone, but it's convenient for me.

As for laptops, one big problem is that they are very awkward to type on. Mine is one of the smallest, but still too heavy to carry with me when I travel, and too delicate to put in checked luggage. I'll be sticking with my desktop for a while.

17. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 26 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]276787[/snapback]</div>
    The stripping of protection is more or less so you can burn it without having to use iTunes, which I don't think is such a bad thing. :)

You could, possibly, run eFax in Wine if it's a windows application. If it won't run in Wine, it will run in a Bochs or QEMU environment. It won't run at full (or faster) speed like it would in Wine, but it will run.

You've got nothing really to lose, other than time, if you check out the Kubuntu live CD/DVD. :)

18. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimeFor @ Jun 23 2006, 02:18 AM) [snapback]275689[/snapback]</div>
    send me a private message with your email address on it. I'm running Vista on an Athlon 2400 box ( spare computer) and It is a bit of a slug. Is the name actually Blue Light Arora? If I can find it, I'll send it to you.

Sy Cohen

19. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Clar @ Jun 23 2006, 01:32 PM) [snapback]275915[/snapback]</div>
    Yea. I didn't see the animated either. That would have been neat. However, my Windows Vista ran so slow as it was I don't think I would want to use any more system resources.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 26 2006, 07:47 AM) [snapback]276801[/snapback]</div>
    I mostly use iTunes to buy audio books which I load onto my iPod for travel.

I'm investigating Linux classes or private lessons here in Spokane. I've decided that's my next step. Rather than try to install and run it blind, I'm going to learn something about it first. Then I'll find a distribution that will run on my laptop, to try for a while.

But following your earlier suggestion I downloaded the .iso of kubuntu. I'll see what that does on my laptop. Supposed to run without installing. But it turns out I don't have any more blank CD's, so that'll have to wait until I get out to the store tomorrow.