1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windows Vista (RC1)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by john1701a, Oct 1, 2006.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    After using RC1 (Release Canidate 1) for a day, the initial impression is a thumbs up.

Quite a few drivers have been updated since the Beta-2 release three months ago. That's great! But sadly, my anti-virus vendor still hasn't provided a compatible update/upgrade yet. So, I'm online with only minimal protection. It's ok though, since I'm just using secondary seperate hardware rather than my primary system.

The only technical problem was opening my own webpages from my own website offline. There is a "saved from url" tagline that I need to add. But after doing that, all is well. The other software seems to be working just fine. And the user-interface is definitely an improvement.

Anyone else playing with Vista RC1 ?

2. orionll

orionll Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Oct 1 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]326582[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah I am getting tht DVD for it. My computer won't download after 99% :angry: . I do like the Windows Vista ui. By the way, I am typing from Windows Vista right now, BETA 2 that is :( . Also if anyone can help me download Windows Vista RC1 that would be great. If anyone that is using Windows Vista RC1 and has a DVD burner maybe someone could make a copy for me.

3. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been using Beta 2 since May and switched to RC1 last week. I almost went back to XP because Beta 2 wouldn't let my laptop hibernate or go into standby, but RC1 fixed everything. The graphics are smoother in RC1 and everything feels like it is running faster than XP (and the Macs I use at school).

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Oct 1 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]326582[/snapback]</div>
    Hee hee hee. OS X = Unix = Nice.

Free at last, free at last. Thank godallmighty (just an expression!) I'm free at last! (Free of Bill, that is.)

5. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 2 2006, 06:41 AM) [snapback]326725[/snapback]</div>
    Ouch. Unix has a very bad track record when it comes to security. It was designed in a time when hackers essentially did not exist. I am sure that OS X is secure, but that is despite the fact that it's derived from Unix.

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Oct 2 2006, 03:40 AM) [snapback]326757[/snapback]</div>
    Really? How come Unix had user accounts and access rights long before anyone else did? Sure sounds like they were thinking about security and quotas to me...

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 2 2006, 12:41 AM) [snapback]326725[/snapback]</div>

ahaha, yeah, OK Daniel, you're "free" of Bill all right... Too bad 90% of the world's software doesn't run on your "machine", which is fraught with ridiculous non-user serviceable problems with vague (at best) error messages...

What cracks me up about the Mac crowd is this:

Owning a Mac is like being crippled and arrogantly bragging about how fast you can propel your wheelchair... - Me

8. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 2 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]326811[/snapback]</div>
    What if I have the option to run Windows as a virtual machine within Mac OS X? Does that mean you are crippled?

9. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Oct 2 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]326815[/snapback]</div>
    No, it only means I'll end up helping you push your wheel chair from the bars on the back, but, at some point, will mostly likely trip and send us both down...

All kidding aside, I really fail to believe the "virtual machine" will be effectively 100% equivalent...
    Only if I can pop in and install, let's say, oh, Half Life 2, and have it run flawlessly stand alone and online will I *start* being a believer...

10. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 2 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]326822[/snapback]</div>
    I can do that on Linux using Wine.

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    HEY! I didn't mean to hijack this thread. All I said was that Unix is nice. And I am free of Bill. Let's take the Unix/Mac vs Windows debate to another thread, and leave this one to the folks who want to discuss Vista RC1.

12. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 2 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]326826[/snapback]</div>
    You had no reason to post in this thread other than to instigate a MAC/Windows debate. Your arrogance is astouding but I still love you.

:ph34r:

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 2 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]326828[/snapback]</div>
    Mea culpa. I apologize. But can there be love between a feline and a mollusk? No, I think it's better if we just remain good friends.

14. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Oct 2 2006, 10:14 AM) [snapback]326824[/snapback]</div>
    Really?

The only problem I have with that though, is: 1. I'd have to get Linux (no biggie I know), and 2. I'd have to somehow know I need Vine...

I've contemplated MACs for YEARS, even used/dicked around with them when I got the chance. Overall, I find them limited and restrictive, although they look and feel nice... Likewise with the Ipod, IMO there are many other better/easier to use/more configurable players out there...

15. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Oct 2 2006, 03:00 PM) [snapback]326797[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah right. And they used to send the passwords as plain text over the network...

16. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Oct 3 2006, 03:56 AM) [snapback]327206[/snapback]</div>
    Many decades ago... it's still far more secure than windows.

17. orionll

orionll Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got my DVD of Windows Vista RC1! :) YAY! But I probably won't have time to install until Friday or Sunday :(

18. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Oct 3 2006, 03:40 PM) [snapback]327255[/snapback]</div>
    How secure an OS is depends in the first case on how it is set up and maintained.

For fun, just a quote from the introduction to O'Reilly's "Practical security":

When the first version of this book appeared in 1991, many people thought that the words "UNIX security" were an oxymoron-two words that appeared to contradict each other, much like the words "jumbo shrimp" or "Congressional action." After all, the ease with which a UNIX guru could break into a system, seize control, and wreak havoc was legendary in the computer community. Some people couldn't even imagine that a computer running UNIX could be made secure.

Since then, the whole world of computers has changed. These days, many people regard UNIX as a relatively secure operating system...at least, they use UNIX as if it were. Today, UNIX is used by millions of people and many thousands of organizations around the world, all without obvious major mishap. And while UNIX was not designed with military-level security in mind, it was built both to withstand limited external attacks and to protect users from the accidental or malicious actions of other users on the system. Years of constant use and study have made the operating system even more secure, because most of the UNIX security faults are publicized and fixed.

But the truth is, UNIX really hasn't become significantly more secure with its increase in popularity. That's because fundamental flaws still remain in the interaction of the operating system's design and its uses. The UNIX superuser remains a single point of attack: any intruder or insider who can become the UNIX superuser can take over the system, booby-trap its programs, and hold the computer's users hostage-sometimes even without their knowledge.

One thing that has improved is our understanding of how to keep a computer relatively secure. In recent years, a wide variety of tools and techniques have been developed with the single goal of helping system administrators secure their UNIX computers. Another thing that's changed is the level of understanding of UNIX by system administrators: now it is relatively easy for companies and other organizations to hire a professional system manager who will be concerned about computer security and make it a top priority.

19. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Oct 1 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]326582[/snapback]</div>
    For anti-virus, try this: http://home3.ca.com/SubscriptCenter/MSTria...&lang=en-US

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Oct 1 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]326582[/snapback]</div>
    I was disappointed with Beta 2 and lack of driver support for my Dell Laptop. When it was installed, I really liked what looked like on my machine, and had no performance issues at all. Unfortunately, because of the driver issues, I had to back off and wait. Maybe RC1 will have what I need driver-wise for my machines...