1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windows Vista RC2

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by john1701a, Oct 6, 2006.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    RC2 (build 5743) is coming tomorrow.

So far RC1 (build 5600) has been working great for me. I'm pleased with updates Microsoft has provided. The interface itself seems to be running remarkably well too.

Share your thoughts here, if you are part of the testing/preview program or just hear interesting stuff about it.

Note: There is another thread already available for those that would like to discuss the MAC operating-system. Please keep this one limited to Vista discussions.

2. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Oct 6 2006, 11:15 AM) [snapback]328911[/snapback]</div>
    I don't plan on upgrading to RC2. RC1 is working great and it takes way too long to download/install RC2. My only gripe is with the battery life, but that is Sony's fault for not providing updated control software for Vista. It's great when I can run Aero glass, install Office 2007, play MP3s, import pictures from my camera, and surf PriusChat at the same time without one slowdown, and that's with a Windows Experience Index Score of only 2.6.

3. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How tough is this on the hardware, it seems each major release of Windows seems to bog down the latest of processors out. I'm running a 2.4G P4 (no hyperthreading) with 1G of RAM. Will this run Vista OK or will it be brought to its knees?

4. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Oct 6 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]329270[/snapback]</div>
    You'll be fine. I am running a 1.73 GHz Centrino with 1G of RAM. If you want all of the fancy glass effects, then you'll need a dedicated video card (ATI or nVidia) with more than 32MB of dedicated video ram. I have a nVidia GeForce 6200 with 32MB of dedicated video ram and it can take up to 256MB from system RAM or virtual RAM if it needs it. Vista actually runs faster than XP because it doesn't run all of the background services all the time. However, things will seem slow for the first 2 days because Vista will index your hard drive and automatically defragment it (you can turn off auto defrag if you want to). User Account Control can also get annoying, but you can turn that off too.

5. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm sounds good, looks like I'll have to do a little beta testing myself, might load it on a spare hard drive though.

6. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Using an external hard drive is a good idea. But even if you don't (like me), Windows won't delete all of your files. It will keep your Users, Program Files, and Windows folders in a folder called Windows.old on your hard drive. I found this out after I wasted hours backing stuff up.
    BTW: Here is just a little preview of the Aero glass at work, you activate this feature by using the Windows+Tab key combination, just like Alt+Tab.
    [​IMG]

And yes, that is your car John.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hv74656 @ Oct 6 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]329285[/snapback]</div>
    By amazing cosmic coincidence, that is the very photo I am using for my own desktop! So your sample momentarily confused the heck out of me.

Sadly, my notebook is on the low-end. So I won't be taking advantage of all Vista has to offer until early next year when I upgrade. But at least confirming that my usual stuff works just fine has been a plus. As a programmer, it's always good to know what coming.

8. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, the screenshot looks impressive. We have a number of copies around work, the software dudes are testing it now. We'll be deploying it as the corporate standard as soon as the final release comes out (we're using 2K now). I'll have to score on a copy to try out myself.

By the way, I bet you don't have leaf color like that in FL ;)