1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield chips

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by AWDstylez, Jul 27, 2012.

1. AWDstylez

AWDstylez 500hp to 99hp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I know there was a thread about chips leading to cracks and to be careful to avoid chips because of this. I never tailgate anyone and stay far back from trucks... and yet in only two months I now have two good size chips in my windshield.

How many other people are experiencing easy windshield chips and cracks? I know Toyota had issues with the 2010-2012 Corollas and poor quality paint leading to extremely easy rock chips on the front end. I'm wondering if these cars will have issues with poor quality glass.

2. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Haven't had any issues yet knock on wood.

3. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Me neither. Knock on wood.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The glass is the glass. I'm not sure if they make Priuses with thinner windshields than other makes, but I suspect that most glass dings damage only the outer layer of the windshield. This is probably more of a function of local governments eschewing street sweeping (which costs $$$) than more brittle glass in Priuses.
    I live in a rather rural area, and stone chips are very common. I've repaired a couple on each of my private vehicles, but 'my' G3 (company car) is ding free (knock-knock!) after almost 30k.
    Usually.....if you don't tailgate, and you have a dash of good luck, you'll have fewer stone chips on both paint and glass.
    One last thing, and this is only theory on my part.
    YMMV.
    I prefer to repair stone chips to my windshield immediately, and out of my own pocket. Most insurance companies waive the comprehensive deductable when you have a windshield repaired, since a $40 (probably reduced for the insurance company) repair WILL save a small stone chip from eventually turning into a large crack requiring a three-figure windshield replacement.
    However (comma!) a claim is a claim.
    They get written down.
    A friend of mine years ago had several windshield repairs performed by the insurance company, and then he had some hail damage. He was later dropped by his insurer for 'excessive claims', despite having never had a ticket or an at-fault accident.
    Ever try to get insurance when you've been dropped by your used-to-be insurer???
    It's not pretty.

My personal practice is to carry $1,000 deductibles and leave the lizard alone unless there is a real need for insurance. A $40 repair every other year...paid by ME keeps my insurance rates very low.

Either way....get the chips and dings repaired, otherwise they will probably turn into a non-repairable crack...sooner rather than later if you live in a climate with large temperature swings.
    Don't ask me how I know. ;)

Teacake likes this.
  5. BBSparks

BBSparks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I got a chip in the glass last week. In a day or two, a 2-foot crack was snaking its way across my windshield. The glass company is ordering replacement glass from a different region of the country because there is none available closer.