1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield crack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BoosPrius, May 4, 2006.

1. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

it's been a long, long time since I had a windshield crack fixed. This one is the starburst type. Does anyone know if that type can easily be repaired, and how? Thanx.

2. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It shouldn't be hard.....everyone is a different crack but most shops around here can fix it for $50 or less.....most around 35 if I remember correctly. My dad had one "fixed" a couple of months ago and it ended up cracking all the way across the windshield. So that does happen occasionally and there is nothing that you can do.

oops forgot....they fill it with a silicone and then heat it. The heating is what cracked my dad's. This is a rare occasion though. Good Luck!

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

If the crack is small enough to be covered by a dollar bill, most shops can repair it rather than replacing the windshield. And most insurance companies waive the deductible for glass repair (not replacement.)
    Of course, there might be something unique about the Prius windshield that I'm not aware of, other than it's very large.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 4 2006, 07:56 AM) [snapback]249680[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing unique about the Prius glass. They can repair it if small enough (the dollar bill one is exactly what they asked me too). They don't put silicone in there - they use a UV-curing adhesive.

5. mdh

mdh New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 4 2006, 08:06 AM) [snapback]249682[/snapback]</div>
    some insurance companies will fix a crack for free.

6. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

There's more funny business in windshield repair/replacement vis-a-vis insurance companies than any other single kind of repair. Sometimes you get unexpected freebies, including a mildly tinted whole new windshield to replace one that wasn't tinted. Other times they stick it to you.

I sometimes think how they treat you is largely determined by how badly they ripped off the insurance company on the previous customer. :)

7. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mdh @ May 4 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]249751[/snapback]</div>
    Be careful in doing that...I did that because my company (State Farm at that time) told me that they'd prefer to pay for that instead of a new windshield. So I did it for 'free' and they treated it like a claim! I didn't know this until I hit a deer that required some body repair. My rates went up after that because they said I had a previous claim. What a load of BS! I had to wait a year before my rates went back to 'normal'.

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The NOVUS method is what I've used previously with good results.

9. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellBoy @ May 4 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]249780[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting. Around here, North Carolina, a collision with a deer is covered under your comprehensive coverage. No deductible and it is not considered an accident. Came as a pleasent surprise after my wife hit a deer two years ago in her minivan to the tune of $2300. It's amazing how much the insurance rules and prices vary from state to state.