1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield Prone to Rock Chips?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by micheal, Apr 6, 2006.

1. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My wife and I were having a discussion about the windshield of the Prius and she thought it might be prone to rock chipping. I think it is most likely due to the construction around town and them using those stupid little rocks until they get wore down into the road surface. Then again, it is a lot of windshield and has a different angle than most, so I see her point as well.

At any rate, we have had three rock chips in our 04 in a little over a year and a half. Have any others had problems with rock chips?

Edit: I tried to add a poll question, but must have done something wrong.

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had a number of hard hits in the last two years but no chips yet. I believe the angle has a lot to do with the lack of chips as well as bugs on the Prius windshield. I do have a small rock dent in the aluminum hood.

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    In over 36K miles my windshield looks like it's full of stars on a starless night.

I think the angle of the windshield allows debris to easily perform "flaking" on the glass much like how you flake rock to create a spearpoint than if it was a straight on impact.

Is there something that can be done to fill in the chips and resurface the glass without affecting visibility?

4. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My windshield seems like a rock magnet.

5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We must be having a low rock year in the PNW because I have not heard a rock impact on my windshield in all the time I have owned the car. Thus no chips or cracks. But rocks are thrown by other vehicles toward you. The car itself cannot easily throw rock on itself.

I do have 2 chips in my hood, but they were easy to cover with the touchup paint I purchased a while back.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got two chips in the windshield now :(. Stupid construction.

7. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 7 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]236457[/snapback]</div>
    i HAVE 2 CHIPS.. ONE THAT TURNED INTO A CRACK AND ONE THAT WAS FROM ROCK SALT DURING THE WINTER OF 04/05.. :angry:

8. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know my experience with chipping has a lot to do with driving habits. My other car is peppered with tiny chips both on the window and paint at 54k miles. There are so many chips in the windshield that it's difficult to see when driving directly in to the sun.

Admittedly I'm an extreme case with 5k+ miles on race tracks following at very close distances and having even less patience with the day dreamers on the street.

I keep my distance when driving our Prius. Time will tell.