1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield reflectors, ignition fobs, & spare keys?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nords, May 13, 2008.

1. Nords

Nords Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

This is the tallest windshield I've ever seen on a car, and Wal-Mart doesn't carry the biggest reflector sizes. Has anyone found a good brand or size of windshield cover? We seem to get the best shielding with the light-weight reflective bubble-wrap style, although at this point we may have to cut our own from Home Depot or Lowe's.

Separate question: we have two ignition fobs (with their embedded keys) and they work just fine. I don't have to worry about snapping off worn-out keyshafts in locks anymore, and I guess I can live without a spare wallet key, but perhaps the fob could get damaged or lost.

Has anyone actually needed a third fob? Is it worth the cost & effort to buy from the dealer or eBay?

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Nords, welcome to PriusChat! :welcome:

You should check out the Prius Shop (third link in the row at the top) for a window shield. They fit and the purchase helps support PC.

To get a new fob, the best deal is on eBay or a discount Toyota parts site. You have to go to the dealer, who will charge you, to get the virgin fob matched to your car. This whole process is not inexpensive. And don't lose both fobs! An existing fob is needed to imprint the new one. If both are gone, more parts must be replaced at more expense.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a reflector from the Prius Club of Queensland, Australia but I believe it is the same as the one offered by PriusChat and it is a perfect made to measure windscreen sunshade.

4. Nords

Nords Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, guys, I ordered the window shield. It's nice to patronize a store that doesn't take advantage of shipping to Hawaii.

The store is addictive. Five minutes after I learned of its existence, I'm discovering that I suddenly "need" a rear bumper protector too.

Good to see that they're generic; the seller had no idea whether or not he'd ever had his key number tag referred to in the owner's manual. I was concerned that I'd need a special key code or a special locksmith's key cutter to add a fob.