1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

windshield repair cause larger crack?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by thejfk, May 2, 2012.

1. thejfk

thejfk New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a small chip in the center of windshield. Repairman recommended by my insurance company came to my home to make repair. He said that the repair could cause an even larger crack = a 50 percent chance. He said the Prius window glass was "lighter" and more fragile. He also said that the repair would be apparent even if it did not get larger. I declined the repair so I could confirm this. Please reply if anyone has experienced this problem.

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I can neither confirm nor deny the truth of what the repairman said. However, it sounds to me like he was covering his behind for a bad job he might do, or the good job he may not do.

3. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    a picture would be helpful but I was under the impression that the minute amount of material the pros use is extremely expensive and hardens to be stronger than the glass itself. how much do you have to pay or is the insurance company covering it, if they are than its a no brainer do it.

4. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had a 2005 fixed no problems. nerver heard of such a thing, but maybe new ones are thinner I don't really know.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have had two chipped places on my wife's 2007 Honda Accord repaired with no problems. When the guy got through I would be the only person that could even find the spot he repaired. I have not had another problem with this windshield.

I have no idea how the Prius windshield compares to the Accord.