1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield replacement / Glass quality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lake Superior, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Lake Superior

Lake Superior New Member

folks:
    After one winter of highway driving, I debated replacing a badly scoured windshield.
    However, that question was resolved recently when a gravel truck threw up a rock from its tires and nailed me right behind the rear-view mirror. The four-inch crack has migrated up to the top edge and a service tech said that damage could affect the performance of the air bags.
    So, I have called around to several glass shops for a price that includes installation and was shocked with the wide range: $265 to $771 and everywhere in between. All assured me that the replacement windshield included the so-called "third visor" shading behind the mirror. The dealer price for Toyota glass was about $575.
    Is there a difference in glass quality, or is glass just glass. Why the huge variation in prices? Apple Auto Glass in Canada was the cheapest. The highest was Go Glass. Both are chains.
    Any advice?
    All the best,
    John

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) John

When I had a similar problem (truck - stone - crack), I was confronted with the choice of 'after-market' or OEM glass. I chose the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) to retain the 'Toyota' brand name on the windshield to complement the overall car. The other choice I had was PPG (Pittsburgh Plate Glass) which reportedly had the same 'shading' along the edges. Either would have been acceptable to me from the standpoint of quality.

In Texas, comprehensive auto insurance includes glass replacement, so the difference in costs was not a material consideration. The invoice to my Insurance Company was about $645. If you're paying 'out of pocket,' you may want to go with an 'after market' brand just to save the $$$.

The shop which replaced my windshield completed the job in less than 45 minutes. They cautioned me to leave about 1" openings at the top of the windows and avoid slamming the doors for one day. I've had no rattles or leaks. Another good surprise, they were able to preserve the license and inspection stickers from the damaged windshield.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I live in an area where they use rocks on the road in winter, actually sand but it includes the rocks free of charge. As a result I have had several windshields replaced in a variety of vehicles over the years, not the Prius yet fortunately. I have never had a problem with after-market windshields, for me they have performed as good as the originals. Just try and make sure you get a good reputable place to install it so there won't be any leaks.

4. Lake Superior

Lake Superior New Member

Thanks for the tips, guys.
    I do not carry glass insurance and have saved more than $100 a year for the last couple of decades without having to replace a windshield. So, I guess I shouldn't complain.
    I'll probably go with the after-market glass, given that highway winter driving conditions up here (November through April) will scour it badly even if a rock doesn't nail the windshield.
    Come to think of it, our mosquitoes and blackflies can almost wreck a windshield, too!!
    I was just concerned that maybe the cheaper places were using glass that might be optically distorted or something. Such a wide range of prices....
    Thanks,
    J

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lake Superior @ Nov 9 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]346370[/snapback]</div>
    I am confused. How would a crack in the windshield affect air bags?! Please explain to me if anyone has a clue. :huh:

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Quote Lake Superior: "...winter driving conditions up here (November through April) will scour it badly..."

Is this due to chemicals or salt treatments due to ice and snow? The only time I've had a 'scoured' windshield is from old, hardened wiper blades. We don't get much frozen precipitation in Texas in the winter.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Nov 9 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]346390[/snapback]</div>
    OK I'll take a wild guess. If the windshield were badly cracked and you had a wreck with the windows all rolled up the increase in pressure inside the car from the airbags exploding might cause the windshield to break completely and blow out. But that doesn't even sound like a good theory to me and I made it up. Also if the wreck were that bad the windshield would most likely break anyway. I guess I don't have a clue either but I would like to know too.

8. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Out of all the aftermarkets offered, try to go for PPG. It's by far the best glass as far as quality and optical clarity.

9. Lake Superior

Lake Superior New Member

Charles: Our winter highway crews plow the snow and then add sand and salt for traction and to melt the ice. That slurry is then sprayed up by cars and semis, coating the car in white salt stains and scouring the windshield with sand and salt as the wipers work to keep the mess clear. C'mon up to the north country some winter and give it a try! ha, ha.

Tumbleweed: Service tech says that the windshield is an integral part of the air bag safety system. Air bag impacts the windshield (as well as your face) and if the windshield is not structurally sound because of cracks, the air bag will not be as effective.....

Will look for PPG glass.

Thanks for all of the input.

John

10. Leo

Leo Leo

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I received a rock thrown from a passing pickup truck about four weeks ago, causing a foot-long crack in the front windshield. I contacted my Insurance, here in Ottawa Canada, and was told I had a $300 (Cdn) deductible, and that a claim would not affect my premiums. I took the car to a local Apple Auto Glass shop, who told me the cost would be in the order of "slightly more than $600" (Cdn), because the only supplier of a Prius replacement windshield was Toyota. Apparently the majority of Apple Auto Glass's replacement glass comes from generic suppliers.
    The job was well done.

11. Lake Superior

Lake Superior New Member

Geez, Leo, did they ding you because you had insurance?
    The quote from Apple in Thunder Bay was $291.23 installed but they knew I was paying for it all myself, without insurance.
    Now, if we add that quote to your insurance deductible we get just about your full price.
    Hmmmm......
    Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
    John

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lake Superior @ Nov 9 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]346655[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for passing that on John.

13. jdizon

jdizon New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You should be able to go to the Tax office and explain the situation to them and get a new registration sticker printed for you. After all, that is all it is anyway, something they printed up on the computer. And take your car back to the same inspection station you last got inspected at, show your inspection certificate (white sheet of paper that obviously said your car passed) it will have their station name, and number letting them know you did infact get your sticker there. Both places once you explain what happened should give you new stickers, with the same expiration dates as what you already had, at a minimum charge, to no fee at all.And visit: irvine auto glass

14. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I replaced my windshield last year. $165 for an aftermarket one installed. (Not the best install job) All auto glass must be safety glass, and front windshields laminated. Not sure what other issues there can be if it fits. When I priced it, I got higher quotes, my usuall guy went from $175 to $225 overnight, so I went elsewhere. Some shops have salvage glass. That would give you a good deal on OEM glass.