1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield spray nozzle

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by poohbear16, Nov 19, 2016.

1. poohbear16

poohbear16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone,

I just took my 2013 prius to the dealership to do the 50k maintenance and I told them that the passenger side windshield spray doesn't work. So they are telling me that the nozzle is broken and they need to change it. 25$ for the nozzle and 25$ for labor! I seriously think this is overpriced, am I right? Also, how can a spay nozzle break?! Could it be that it is just clogged?
    How can I fix it myself?

Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! run a very thin wire through it to see if it's clogged. if not, you can try disconnecting the tube underneath to see if the fluid makes it that far.
    i wonder what they mean by broken? is there physical damage? 50 bucks for anything at a dealership is cheap.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Found this:

(Weird, thought I'd responded to this post, but seems to have evaporated. Mod's at work??)

Merged. Don't make back to back posts, edit the original post.

I concur with bisco about the $'s btw. Parts prices are what they are. If you ask you might be able to get discount. The labour actually seems reasonable. The main issue: it may just be a trivial clog, DIY fixable for free.

To troubleshoot:

Who's filling the reservoir, and with what? Does the cap have grit on it? Was a clean funnel used? Was it run dry?

#3 Mendel Leisk, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2016
    RCO and bisco like this.
  4. poohbear16

poohbear16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I fill the reservoir with plain water and few drops of alcohol. It was never ran dry. Also, no physical damage.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any luck with repair?

6. poohbear16

poohbear16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    haven't attempted yet, will probably do it on the weekend... thanks for the advice everyone :)

bisco likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your call, but if it were me, I'd switch to -40F freeze protected fluid, year 'round. Toyota sells a good quality fluid up here, 4 liters for $3.95 (Can). About a buck more than the loss-leader bottles at hardware stores, but meh: I'm there.

IMG_5926.JPG

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Broken? It's metal and might bend if you catch it while washing the car - bend it back. Oh wait, I think I remember seeing it and it's plastic, so it may be broken. It can clog - fix that as posted above. The hose can rot - replace the hose. But if you don't want to do it yourself, $50 is cheap at the dealer, as posted above. But they probably would charge more if you go in later to have it done, as it wouldn't be "added" to the normal service, so might take them a bit longer to get it going in the repair cycle.
    I suspect it has corrosion inside plugging it and they don't want to mess with it to try to clean it out. Probably cheaper for you too as shop rates are at least $100 per hour. Not hard to rack up more than $25 replacement cost in time alone trying to clean it.