1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

windshield tint strip?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by desertbriez, May 30, 2007.

1. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

i'm really noticing the sun coming in the upper part of the windshield on the way to work and then again on the way home (and the glare on the screen is horrible!)

has anyone had the strip added to the top of the windshield and have pics of it? are you happy with it?

i guess i should have asked this before i had the windows all tinted yesterday! :mellow: but if it's gonna make a nice, huge difference..... AND looks good...... i'll take it back to have one added!

2. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

soooooooooooooo no one has added a windshield strip? or no one has any pictures?

3. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been thinking about it, but the strip probably will not stick to the "dimples" behind the rearview mirror; at least it didn't look good in my attempt on previous vehicle with simular feature. May have to trim strip around them. Anything will help to keep the sun out.

4. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

ya..... i've thought about that...... i know the dots were a HUGE deal when i got my acura tinted.... had to have that area painted (rear window) because they just couldn't get the tint to stick/look good.....

why do they have all those dots on the windshield anyways? what purpose do they serve?

i've thought about getting some cheap, do-it-yourself stuff from target, walmart, auto store and putting it on the outside even??????? ya know... like those banners some people put on the windshield of their cars... but without words on it???????

5. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ May 31 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]452678[/snapback]</div>
    I guess, the dots are supposed to be a sort of sun reduction. I had the problem when I got my Acura tinted too; it never looked right. I put the walmart self cling strip on my truck, it does the job, but doesn't look professional.

6. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glare from top of windshield is bad. Does anyone really look up at that part of the windshield for any reason? I wish the dots went all the way across the top of the windshield to cut the glare and would still provide visibility. I always drive with the visor down to cut the glare.

7. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have it done. I'll take pics and post them when I get home today. Probably around 5pm EDT.

8. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Jun 5 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]455933[/snapback]</div>
    Does it cut down on the heat coming through the windshield at all? I'm constantly boiling from the sun coming through the windshield.

10. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

i don't know about the prius (obviously... since i'm asking about having it done)... but it sure seems like it cut down on the heat (light.... direct sun... so HOT) in my mdx! the more i drive it after work... the more i want that strip!!!!!!!!!!!

but i'm worried about the dots..... we'll see how the pic looks when he posts it!

11. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

A vinyl graphics company (vehicle wraps, etc.) should be able to make a dot-pattern graphic that mimics the one behind the mirror. It should be just like the "stick-and-peel" window stickers, leaving behind only the black dots.

All it would take is to design the dot pattern in Illustrator to mimic the factory pattern. A left hand section and a right hand section would be needed to match up with the factory dots in the middle.

I might try it in my spare time... If I succeed, I would provide a link to an EPS file that one could just give to the vinyl shop.

12. kayemarschke2

kayemarschke2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Les Gas @ Jun 5 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]455989[/snapback]</div>
    My windshield is tinted (all of it I am alergic to the sun)They had no problem with the dots at all. I have to say though I am thinking about having the strip done myself.

13. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II