1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield Wipers Disintegrating

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tomegan, Feb 5, 2007.

1. tomegan

tomegan New Member

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem - new '07 Touring model is destoying front wiper blades. The long, thin metal strips that support the sides of the length of the blade are popping through the tip of the blade. The strips rest in grooves, but for some unapparent reason they are slipping out of the grooves and sliding past the tips of the blades. I noticed it happening when the car was about 3 weeks old after the first rainstorm we had had since my purchase. The dealer begrudgingly changed out the blades (I already had alot of miles on the vehicle, but he had to admit they were 'dry' miles - therefore little or no wiper use).

Well, here it is about a month later and the weather has been inclement again lately. I glanced over and son of a gun - the same thing is happening again! Just was wondering if I was alone in this or if anyone else has had the same problem and / or knows the reason and / or has a cure.

I was able to remove the wipers from the car and eventually get the blades right again, but it was an aggravating experience for such a trivial matter. I don't know how long my "fix" will last, so I am definitely going to purchase new wiper blades (though I still don't feel I should have to on a brand new $30,000 vehicle).

Don't get me wrong... I love my Prius and I am a true-blue Toyota fan (this being my 6th one over the years), but the reason I go with Toyotas is to eliminate these little annoyances. Bless my now retired ECHO that is probably carrying someone around right now - it saw the dealership only twice in a hundred thousand miles - the day I bought it and the day I traded it. Loved that little car! (too).

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I am all ears. Thanks. <_<

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My passenger side blade is sticking out and bent. I don't know if someone tried to pull it out or it came out on its own and then someone tried to remove it and bent it in the process.

3. member

member New Member

Is the rubber damaged or deteriorated, or is this just an apparent problem with the fit of the metal blades in the rubber?

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have 10,000 miles on our 2006 - the wipers are still working fine.

Tom

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< 2007 Touring Edition Prius, 3 months - windshield wiper blades still just fine, and we've had generous precipitation for several weeks.

Sounds like a couple got bad original blades, unless vandalism is a possibility.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

you might try taking off the whole blade assy and truning it around. Instead of the wiping action pulling the blade out it tends to push it in.

7. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Feb 5 2007, 09:09 PM) [snapback]385830[/snapback]</div>
    I'll bet dollars to donuts this is the problem. Happened to me on another vehicle a few years back. The blade was in backwards. Turned it around, the blade snapped into place...no problem.

8. tomegan

tomegan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Feb 5 2007, 09:09 PM) [snapback]385830[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you Frank and Rick - that is exactly what the problem is. I never noticed that there is a "right way" and a "backwards way" of installing wiper blades - apparently neither does the factory nor my service shop. When the blades are reversed, those metal strips CAN'T slide out.

As usual, with a 50 / 50 chance.... That's why I'm not a gambler! Thans again.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is annoying. When I bought replacement inserts from a dealer they came in a plain ziplock bag with no instructions. Fortunately I had the old Toyota blister packaging for a Corolla insert, and the instructions were sufficiently similar to prevent that mistake.