1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wine Talk

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by larkinmj, Mar 19, 2007.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Best wine I ever tasted- a 1961 Haut Brion. We had it at Doris & Ed's restaurant in NJ, which has a great wine list.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the opportunity to sample a few very nice French reds in the past, but couldn't tell you today what they were.

The best bottle I've purchased and consumed was a '91 Opus 1 (med school graduation gift in '93) Drank it on New Years Day 2000. Quite nice, full bodied...but it would have been better in 2010.

A friend of mine is developing his vines and winery in the Willamette Valley in Oregon and his most recent vintage ('05) of Pinot Noir is absolutely outstanding by any standard.
    http://wahlevineyardsandcellars.com/
    He most recently was added to the stock at Emeril's in New Orleans.
    Tell Mark that I sent you.

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 19 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]408535[/snapback]</div>
    I'd like to try it- unfortunately I can't order it online from my state. Willamette Valley makes some really great pinots. While my few favorite pinots are from California (David Bruce, Talley, etc.), in general there is a better breadth of pinot noir producing in Oregon. Pinot is probably about the toughest grape to grow, and the soil/climate is better for it in the northwest.

4. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 19 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]408535[/snapback]</div>
    Evan, I now see the real true reason why you're so worried about GW - you relish wine! :D

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 19 2007, 05:11 PM) [snapback]408545[/snapback]</div>
    Wine producers are seriously concerned about global warming and there have been a lot of articles on the subject recently, such as this one.

I'm making sure that my cellar is well-stocked!

6. MacDude

MacDude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A 1962 Ridge Zinfandel. A friend of mine gave it to me for my 21st birthday (I was born in 1962).

It was amazing.

I have always enjoyed wines from the Santa Cruz appalachian. Ridge, Mount Eden, Dalhgren, etc.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I found a great outlet for reasonably priced premium wines from small producers on our last trip to Napa. They introduced me to a jewel that they sell for $25, a Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon meritage, Falcor Le Bijou.

The Wine Garage

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The best wine I've ever had was pink. (Wine snobs pronounce it "rosay" and if I was speaking French I'd do so also, but I don't believe in mixing languages.) Normally, I shunned anything under $5 a bottle, though in Spain you can get a very adequate table wine in a cardboard carton for about a dollar a liter, at 1999 exchange rates -- a bit more now, due to the fall of the dollar. I never liked red wine. White is okay if there's no pink. I still like the taste of any pink wine (as long as it's not much below $5 a bottle). But alcohol makes me feel kind of dizzy and kind of stupid and kind of sick. It is a low-grade poison, after all, as demonstrated by the fact that it's metabolized by the liver, whose job is to get poisons out of your bloodstream.

So I don't drink any more, and, except for 2 or 3 times in Spain, have not drunk alcohol for a little over 30 years.

But my favorite wine is pink. Doesn't matter what year, or what vinyard. As long as it's not under about $5 a bottle. I think the really cheap stuff is just grape juice with some cheap distilled alcohol added.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like ice wine but haven't found a favourite yet. Any suggestions?

11. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 20 2007, 01:47 AM) [snapback]408792[/snapback]</div>
    I like ice wines also. A nice sweet dessert wine, but the higher acidity keeps the sweetness from being too cloying. Try Bonny Doon Muscat Vin de Glaciere; one of my favorites.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Mar 19 2007, 10:05 PM) [snapback]408708[/snapback]</div>
    A friend of mine, who I'll charitably describe as "thrifty", buys all his wine at Trader Joe's. I have him pick me up a case now and then. The wines aren't spectacular, but quite drinkable and unbeatable for the price. Prices are a bit higher here in the northeast, so here it's "three-buck chuck."

12. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I prefer red wine, mainly cabernet sauvignon. My wife likes a sweet red wine. She also likes ice wine and the ones from Canada the best. We live in Pa and the state has a monoply on the wine and liquor trade. You must buy from them. You cannot buy wine or liquor in a suppermarket, gas station or anywhere else. Beer by the case can only be bought at a "Beer Distributor" who can only sell beer by the case, no 6 packs. If you want just a 6 pack you must go to a tavern or barroom. My wife does not like to go into a barroom alone. Pa is the largest purchaser or wine and spirits in the world, yet we pay almost the highest prices. Depending where you live in Pa if you want any alcohol beverages to take home on a Sunday you are totally out of luck. Even in the big city areas you may have to drive 10 miles or better to find a "state store" or "beer distributor" open. If you know you are getting company on a Sunday, stock up on Saturday. It is so nice to travel in states where you can buy wine or beer in a gas station, suppermarket, etc.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Mar 20 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]408868[/snapback]</div>
    Nice talking wine yesterday with everyone.

i went to old bridge cellars and they would not ship to NY - so i left an email to find out why.

I am always looking for a killer cab or merlot or pinot noir that is reasonably priced. wine spectator came yesterday but i got home to late to read it :(

14. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My favorite red wine that I've ever had was the 2001 Fess Parker Syrah. My favorite white was the 2002 Robertson Riesling (South African). Both were incredibly inexpensive, but unreal. Too bad I have no more...and other vintages were not as good, IMHO.

Nope, they're not fancy, but I loved them. Sniff.

The best bottle that I had only once (because i couldn't afford it more often) was an Amarone...I wanna say either '97 or '98, I can't recall. Any-hoo, it was fabulous.

Overall, I'm partial to Rieslings, both off-dry and dry. For reds, make mine a Syrah/Shiraz.

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 20 2007, 12:47 AM) [snapback]408792[/snapback]</div>
    Canada produces several excellent ones. We have a bottle of Inniskillin sparking Ice wine in the fridge right now and recently drank a bottle of their 'Old Vine' which was just gorgeous. They're pricy to buy in the US but well worth it. Dessert wines can be just fantastic in the right setting with the right foods despite my preference for dry wines.

16. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good morning to all,

I am very lucky to live near so many Trader Joe's, we enjoy some of the two buck chucks. Once in a while during the hot summer months, my wife and I enjoy a good sangria. This can be made with several of the red wines, syrahs - shiraz etc. Even the cheap Zinfandel can be used. I have a small Tsatsuma mandarin tree that I can squeeze from and mix with a blend of fruit juices and citrus juices for a really thirst quenching icy cool drink of wine. My friend from Niagara falls has mentioned the real ice wine from the canadian side as being a very good wine that is hard to find.

I remember sipping Merlot with my Dad, he used to have a small glass at dinner up until he was about 89. He passed away at 91.

My Mothers cardiologist recommends two drinks a day to all of his patients. No more. Be it beer booze or wine, he says the benefit of alcohol lowers the bad cholesterol LDL and boosts the HDL, the good cholesterol.

My favorite wine joke goes like this: Why yes, I love wine, I love soaking my feet in it while I drink beer. :lol:

Dave

17. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KD6HDX @ Mar 20 2007, 10:24 AM) [snapback]408892[/snapback]</div>
    Dr. Berman can weigh in here (and here is one subject where I will defer to his knowledge :) ) I have, over the years, read how certain foods (carbs, fats, proteins, whatever) are bad- only to read somewhere else that they are good for you. The one bit of medical advice that has seemed to be consistent throughout the years is that moderate (i.e., a glass or two a day) consumption of red wine is good for you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Mar 20 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]408868[/snapback]</div>
    I grew up in NJ, just outside of Philadelphia. I remember the PA state stores, and how the parking lots of the liquor stores across the river in Jersey would be filled with cars from PA.

18. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A place we get to too infrequently, but a great store, is the Wine Discount Center on Elston in Chicago. Wine Discount Center

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 20 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]408933[/snapback]</div>
    i love finding common ground.

me personally - stay away from bad carbs (bread, fries, etc) and stick to Gods carbs (fruits and veggies)
    in fact i start every day with a low carb protein shake and put in 3-7 helpings of fruit and some ice and blend it up - also take a centrum a-z, b-complex, and a baby asa monday - friday

Note - i started taking reversterol (the red wine extract) in pill form about 4 months ago. just as an experiment given all the studies required drinking cases of red wine to get the full effect.

i also have 2-3 glasses of red-wine per week on average, perhaps a little less. i am not sure more than one glass a day of wine is good for you ( i did specialty training in liver disease and liver transplantation).

i also exercise a lot for a guy my age. about three times a week:
    kickboxing 1 hour continuous followed immediately by,
    Krav Maga 1-1.5 hours

20. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 20 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]408946[/snapback]</div>
    I'll remember that the next time we get into a political argument. :lol: :lol: :lol: