1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wining noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JPM199, Feb 10, 2013.

1. JPM199

JPM199 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Developed a wineing type noise in my '07 prius engine compartment. Noise only there when gas pedal pressed. If I let off on gas the wining noise stops. Anyone else experience this?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Need more specifics: What speeds, is the ICE running, or just electric power? How does the car drive? MPG?

The inverter does make some high pitched noise when larger amounts of current flow through it, but it is normally hard to hear.

To be more correct, in the Prius there is no gas pedal per se, since sometimes pressing it won't turn on the ICE. Accelerator pedal is better.

3. JPM199

JPM199 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Car drives just fine ---- current load of fuel at 52mpg. The whine noise is heard whenever you let off the accelerator at any speed. ICE is running when whine is heard.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Confused now. Happens when stepping on pedal? Or letting off pedal? The two posts differ.

5. JPM199

JPM199 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Letting off pedal.

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK. Does the pitch of the noise vary with speed? I.e higher frequency with higher speed?

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The engine is making the noise for sure. Put the car in inspection mode and the engine will run without you being in the car. Get a flashlight and open the hood and see where the noise is coming from. Items of interest are the engine water pump and the belt area. If whining in the front of the motor shut the engine off and look for green specks in that area indicating coolant seepage from the water pump weep hole usually indicating a bad pump. Check engine oil too.

8. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not convinced yet. If the car is warmed up, and the going less than 42 mph, then letting off of the accelerator pedal will cause the engine to turn off, zero rpms, and regenerative braking will occur. If going over 42 mph, the engine will freewheel at some speed, and also regen braking occurs. Since the OP says the noise happens when letting off the pedal at any speed, I would tend to think this has something to do with regen braking. That's why I am curious if the pitch of the noise changes with speed.

Also, the OP could say what the mileage of the car is. Did the noise just appear one day, or come on gradually?

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, I've never hear wine make a noise before (unless you pour it) so the OP must have meant "whining" noise

10. JPM199

JPM199 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Missed letter when spelling whine. That happens sometimes when using smartphone keypad.