1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winner of the "How much stuff can you haul with your Prius" thread?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by benighted, Oct 29, 2006.

1. benighted

benighted New Member

This weekend I helped my brother move some stuff to his new apartment in Bellingham. He rented a 6X8 U-Haul trailer for me to tow with my Prius. We managed to fit around 800lbs or so in there, the engine revs up a lot but it seems ok. The trip average was about 25MPG going the speed limit and 60 in the 70 zones. MPG was about the same empty as it was full, the trailer makes like a big parachute back there.
    Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And thanks to Darell for the hitch and wiring instructions.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    niice.

Hmm, your wheels are different. Don't remember seeing them before. Have you posted pics of your wheels?

3. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 29 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]340534[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, those are new. I haven't posted any pics of those yet but they are ADR GT-Sport 17x7 with Toyo Proxes 4: 215/45R17.
    The tires are a little bigger than stock but at least the speed on my speedometer is a lot closer to the speed on my GPS now.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The winner of the "How much stuff can you haul with your Prius" contest will be the biggest loser.

Much like the military aviation axiom: You can only tie the record for lowest fly-by . . . winning this contest is a losing proposition. Toyota has weight and no towing restrictions for a reason. If you are smarter than Toyota, then by all means, enter the contest. :blink:

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 30 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]340698[/snapback]</div>
    What, nobody measures the depth of the trench?...

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Oct 30 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]340705[/snapback]</div>
    You ain't flying by then. ;)

If that were considered flying, the contest would have to be opened to the submarine community . . . because they can fly out of the water.

7. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 30 2006, 01:15 PM) [snapback]340710[/snapback]</div>
    The good ones can fly in the water also - oops, can't say too much. :lol:

8. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 30 2006, 11:00 AM) [snapback]340698[/snapback]</div>
    I did consult the Uhaul people and when they looked up the Prius they found that it is ok to pull that size trailer as long as you don't put more than 1100 lbs in the trailer. I don't know why it tells you not to pull a trailer in the manual, the transaxle handles it fine.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ Oct 30 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]340972[/snapback]</div>
    They probably don't want you to tow AND carry passengers/luggage.