1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winning the Oil Endgame

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by enerjazz, Sep 22, 2004.

1. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Amory Lovins (founder of the Rocky Mountain Institute) has released a new book and it looks like a good one.

In 1991 Amory came up with the hypercar concept that would get around 85 mpg. Detroit didn't listen. Toyota did. Here's the Hypercar photo from 2000:

http://www.rmi.org/images/article/T_Nws01-...08_Hypercar.gif
    [img=left:8502cbbdc8]http://www.rmi.org/images/article/T_Nws01-08_Hypercar.gif[/IMG]

Notice the similarity to the 2004 Prius. Change a Prius to a carbon fiber lightweight construction and the mileage goes up from mid 50's to near the goal.

U.S. Can Eliminate Oil Use in a Few Decades
    RMI's Winning the Oil Endgame Shows Businesses How to Mobilize and Profit

Snowmass, Colo., September 20, 2004 - Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) today released Winning the Oil Endgame: Innovation for Profits, Jobs, and Security, a Pentagon-cofunded blueprint for making the United States oil-free. The plan outlines how American industry can restore competitiveness and boost profits by mobilizing modern technologies and smart business strategies to displace oil more cheaply than buying it. It can be downloaded free from http://www.oilendgame.com.

Winning the Oil Endgame proves that at an average cost of $12 per barrel (in 2000 dollars), the United States can save half its oil usage through efficiency, then substitute competitive biofuels and saved natural gas for the rest - all this without taxation or new federal regulation.

"Unlike previous proposals to force oil savings through government policy, our proposed transition beyond oil is led by business for profit," said RMI

CEO Amory Lovins. "Our recommendations are market-based, innovation-driven without mandates, and designed to support, not distort, business logic. They're self-financing and would cause the federal deficit to go down, not up."

Winning the Oil Endgame shows that by 2015, the United States can save more oil than it gets from the Persian Gulf; by 2025, use less oil than in 1970; by 2040, import no oil; and by 2050, use no oil at all. "Because saving and substituting oil costs less than buying it, our study finds a net savings of $70 billion a year," Lovins said. "That acts like a giant tax cut for the nation. It simply makes sense and makes money for all."

The RMI study focuses on cars and light trucks (SUVs, pickups, and vans). These vehicles account for nearly half of projected 2025 oil use. The report demonstrates that ultralight, ultrastrong materials like carbon-fiber can halve vehicles' weight, increase safety, and boost efficiency to about 85 mpg for a midsize car or 66 mpg for a midsize SUV.

"BMW has confirmed that carbon-fiber autobodies weigh only half as much as steel and have exceptional crash performance," said Lovins. "The resulting fuel savings can be like buying gasoline for 56 cents a gallon."

Winning the Oil Endgame also predicts that to fight better and save money, the Pentagon - the world's largest oil buyer - will accelerate the market emergence of superefficient land, sea, and air platforms. A more efficient and effective military can protect American citizens instead of foreign oil, while moving to eliminate oil as a source of conflict. "A fuel-efficient military could save tens of billions of dollars a year," said Lovins, who served on a Pentagon task force studying this issue. "As our nation stops needing oil, think of the possibilities of being able to treat oil-rich countries the same as nations that don't own a drop. Imagine too our moral clarity if other countries no longer assume everything the United States does is about oil."

The RMI report says that by 2015, more efficient vehicles, buildings, and factories will turn oil companies into broad-based energy companies that embrace biofuels as a new product line. Winning the Oil Endgame demonstrates how cellulosic biofuels (wood-based rather than from starchy or sugary plants like corn) can replace one-fifth of current oil use, more than triple farm income, and create 750,000 agriculture jobs.

Recommended policy innovations include:
    * Revenue-neutral feebates - rebates for buyers of efficient cars, paid for by fees on inefficient ones;

* Low-income access to affordable mobility - a new nationwide initiative to buy efficient cars in bulk and lease or sell them to low-income drivers at terms they can afford;

* R&D investment incentives and temporary loan guarantees to help financially weakened U.S. automakers retrain and retool faster; and

* Temporary federal loans guarantees to U.S. airlines for buying very efficient new airplanes, provided that for every plane thus financed, an inefficient one is scrapped.

"For the first time, our report adds up the new ways to provide all the services now obtained from oil, but without using oil - which will save us $70 billion a year," concluded Lovins. "Forging the tools to get our nation off oil forever is the key to revitalizing industry and farming."

###
    I had the pleasure of visiting Amory last summer and got a sneak preview of the book. It should be required reading for all politicians and policy makers - "The No Politician Left Behind Act."

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I say this for the sake of everyone who won't read a text block this long. ( a good section of the U.S. ) i wish all this info was put into simple format. This is what we need to do.. this is what will happen. Something we can print out and would be simple to understand for everyone else.

I think all this info is great. I've been thinking this ever since i first read about biodiesel. I've been telling people too. Most people it talk to find a lot of this information extremely interesting. All i need to do is start being an example. I want to create biodiesel for my fathers F350 superduty that he runs his buisiness off of. He would save at least 5 thousand dollars a year and pollute less. It's good to start somewhere, i feel it's my responsiblitity to start there. Anyone around San Jose, California that want to help me make biodiesel. From what i read it's pretty easy.

I also think we should make FAQ pages that we can hand out to the average citizen who asks about a prius. That way, the won't repeat the wrong words, they can read it themselves. They are grown adults, they can read.

I try to remember to keep things simple when explaining new ideas/technologies like the prius. I would be considered hard core.. so.. people don't understand things like a hybrid system. they do understand there are two motors.. one electric, one gas ( even though there are three ) they work together when accelerating.. the electric is used as a generator when stopping.. and if you cruise under 42, you can use only the electric. Nice and simple, they don't need detail.

sorry to hog this forum.. i should know better as a moderator. :mrgreen:

3. prius04

prius04 New Member

enerjazz

Surely you are not suggesting that we just went and wasted a perfectly good war?

And if there isn't a Hummer hypercar then you can just forget about it.

4. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmm... Ya, that does look a lot like a Prius - although I like the Prius styling a bit more (less industrial look than the Hypercar). I think our windows are a bit bigger (as well as the car overall).

Dave.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The fact sheet, suitable for handing out to friends, has been done. Go to John's Prius Page and click on "Info Sheet" at the bottom of the home page.

I have a friend who uses virgin biodiesel. I.e., it's not used cooking oil. It costs him more than petroleum diesel. I forget whether he said 50 cents more or a dollar. It's an expense he's willing to pay, to not pollute. (Just as some folks who mistakenly think that the Prius "costs more" are willing to pay it.)

Collecting used cooking oil from restaurants will be cheaper, but a lot more work. My friend is willing to pay more for clean fuel, but he's not willing to give up quality family time to save money by recycling restaurant oil. If you have less money or more time, it may be worth your while.

6. prius04

prius04 New Member

I printed up about a dozen copies of the info sheet from John1701a and I keep then in the storage compartment on the back of my front seat for this very purpose.

I also printed up directions for turning off the reverse beeper and also on that sheet I put a list of reasons to go to Priuschat.com. I keep that one in the same place to give out to other Prius owners I run into.

My daughter does this too. I got the idea from her.

(She turned me on to this car. Thanks again Cristin.)

7. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I first became aware of RMI and Amory Lovins when I read a paper he wrote about the connection between energy efficiency and national security. This was in the 1980's! He was right. Sadly, our nation didn't heed the good advice and we most certainly are paying a very high price now.

Look at some of his writing from 1982 and you'll realize how many of our current problems were preventable - http://www.rmi.org/sitepages/pid1011.php