1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winow Tint

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by okmatthew, Jan 13, 2010.

1. okmatthew

okmatthew New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm getting ready to tint and was wondering if there was anyone who had the patterns for the windows. seems like I saw some for another make a while back so I thought I'd ask before I cut my own.

2. Hy-Bird

Hy-Bird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Me too, I'm thinking of tinting my windows too but don't know how dark I should tint them and still looks good. Any ideas as far as color and percentage? I have a Blizzard Pearl Prius.

1 person likes this.
  3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I prefer darker tint on white and lighter tint on black.

4. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Pictures would help if anyone has them.

5. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have not found ANY tint film that in light enough to use (legally) in the driver's side windows (in California).
    I do not need or want the visual tinting, but I would like to eliminate the UV and reduce the IR.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks!

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please check out the local laws concerning window tinting in your respective areas. So you are not back in here in a month asking how to best remove the tint because you are being pulled over and sited by the police.

7. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    35% all around is good and legal in MA. I have a black V and it looks great and you can see though the film at night. Darker is not too good moving about at night especially baking up and looking out the side windows.
    I have the same tint (35%) on my xyl's Lexus which is white and it is excellent. I did have it installed ($120) back in 2002 and it still is in perfect condition. No fading or changing color..like purple over time. The film manufacture is 3M. I will post some pics.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can find 70%-75% you could look legal and still have some skin/interior protection and a slight darkening of the window but that is it. On the 2010 Prius you would still be technically illegal but very unlikely to be cited for it. You could then do the rear half of the vehicle in 50% or 35% (or even 5% like I did) and still look good and have plenty of privacy.

Keep in mind that even the 75% tint as the same UV blocking characteristics as 5% tint.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    35% front, 5% rear
    [​IMG]

15% all around
    [​IMG]

20% all around
    [​IMG]

Window with 35% tint
    [​IMG]

35% all around
    [​IMG]

50% and 30% (looks darker than that to me though) I think it looks like 35% and 15%

[​IMG]

70% front 5% rear (overcast day so front tint looks dark)
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agreed. I had 35% smoke in a previous car and was never cited in the 10 years I had it, even when pulled over three times for other infractions. Depending on your interior color, you'd be safe as low as 50% (dark interior can make a tint look much darker than it really is).

Check out the Llumar AirBlue and 3M Crystalline 70 if you don't care for any darkening and just want the UV protection.

11. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here's one (copy into your browser since I can't post URLs yet): snaptint.com/car-tint-Toyota-Prius-2010-sedan-complete.html

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's my "crazy" theory. It's pure speculation, no facts or figures to back it up. But I think in times of recession, when tax revenue for Police Departments are likely to be down AND budgets tight, you are more likely to be cited for something like window tint.

Speed Traps, Seat Belt Fines, (depending on regional laws) Window Tint are easy revenue.

People of course are free to push it as much as they want to push it but my advice is just be aware of the risk, then if you do get cited don't complain.

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't know about that because I haven't had a front license plate on the Lexus since I got the car new (no drilled holes either) and have never been cited to this day. Unless they're targeting only Mustangs (in which I've been cited multiple times, the last time being 3 years ago) and not Lexus SUVs.

14. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    That theory isn't the slightest bit crazy. You will also find serious upgrade in enforcement of zoning and building codes. People who are on the verge of being laid off all of a sudden get really creative in doing their jobs.

I do think that most police departments are kind of immune from lay offs and that they also lack the essential tools to actually measure the light transmission, but that won't stop them from writing a ticket.

15. Hy-Bird

Hy-Bird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The pictures looks great. Do you happen to have Blizzard Pearl in different shade? Sorry if I ask to much :p If you don't have them thats fine.

I'm thinking of getting ceramic tint. Anyone know any special pros at ceramic tint in SoCal?

16. Hy-Bird

Hy-Bird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The pictures looks great. Do you happen to have Blizzard Pearl in different shade? Sorry if I ask to much :p If you don't have them thats fine.

I'm thinking of getting ceramic tint. Anyone know any pros at ceramic tint in SoCal?

17. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm looking at doing the Llumar AirBlue on my Blizzard Pearl/Dark Grey. Think the blue will complement the blue tinge in the headlights and on the badges.

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, the glass is green to begin with. It won't look anything like Mercedes blue.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Gary, front windows are not legal in CA, tho it's all over the place. It took me almost 4yrs to get a fix it ticket for mine. I'll re-install after it warms up in the spring time. There's a real quality shop (inexpensive too) we went to in Fullerton. Worth the drive.

Heck, for THAT matter the prius windows ARE already UV blocked ... that's why progressive lens glasses won't turn dark while you're in the prius.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In most cases 73% or higher will look legal and give you the 99% UV protection. Most places should sell 70%, 73% or 75%. Just check around and ask for those numbers. On a 2010 with built-in tint you would still be illegal but visually no one would ever know to look because it is sooo light.