1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winstall.exe - helpp!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by alisaselez, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alisaselez

alisaselez New Member

Hi everebody
    My computer was infected with a trojan virus today, from a link from someone on msn messenger. I ran AVG Free and the virus went to the vault, which i have deleted and all seems to be running fine now. however, i've had to vault it three times. when I restart, the virus seems to reappear. but my computer is running fine.

but...

there is an icon on my desktop titled winstall.exe which when scanned doesn't contain a virus, but I have just had a quick scan thru some stuff on the internet and get the idea that its a nasty little program that lets other nasty stuff infect my computer I can't delete it, and in fact, am not sure if this is accurate and am a little worried its an important windows file i shouldnt be deleting at all.

I've now installed Avira Antivir as well, as a double up safety precaution, but no spyware detection programs as yet (I'm not even sure if I'm wording that correctly..)

help??
    Thanks a lot

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your first post, on a Prius forum, is about a computer virus issue? I'm gonna move this to the Fred's House of Pancakes forum where, perhaps, someone can help you. But you might wanna look at some computer specific forums for help on this....

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Dec 16 2006, 07:46 AM) [snapback]363078[/snapback]</div>
    Evan,

Alisa also posted this cry for help on Prius Online. I ignored it's OT nature and gave her directions on fixing the problem.

JeffD

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    obviously a newbie to many things. i hope your problems get resolved and welcome to Priuschat

5. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm afraid this might just be spam. A google of avira winstall.exe helpp! brings up 180 instances of this message, posted in forums with no discernable connection, and all the ones of the two pages of results were posted Dec 15 (didn't bother looking beyond that).

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Dec 16 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]363135[/snapback]</div>
    That's good enough for me, I'll moderate the poster and close the thread and advise folks not to buy/look up avira.

Pretty lousy job of spamming though...no link?

BTW, if the OP is legit please just PM the mods and let us know and we'll restore your posting priveledges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.