1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter blooming in Washington DC

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by chogan, Jan 1, 2007.

1. chogan

chogan New Member

Well, it's official -- the Washington Post did a human interest story today on all the plants in the DC area that are blooming in (what was formerly) the dead of winter. Some species of Cherry apparently will do this as a matter of course in a warm winter, but somebody even spotted forsythia bushes blooming.

I think this is going to go down as the year without a winter around here. Next thing to watch for is the peak bloom time for the National Cherry Trees. That;s a high-variance statistic, but March 15 was the earliest ever recorded since 1920. Be interesting to see if we break that this year.

Maybe I'll plant some snow peas, see if I can get a winter crop.

I believe you have to sign up (free) to read the story in its entirety.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6123101043.html

"When the cherry trees in front of her Northwest Washington apartment building began to turn pink with blossoms several days ago, delighting her and her children, Nina Chkhenkeli took pictures and sent them to family members in Tbilisi, the capital of the Republic of Georgia.

"It's amazing," she said yesterday, standing next to one of the Macomb Street trees and joining the rest of the Washington area in celebrating the end of a warm year. "I told everyone back home, this is what it is like in Washington in December."