1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter driving and ABS question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius_MT, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Prius_MT

Prius_MT New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Another newbie question

First snow fall that actual didn't melt here in Detroit. I have a 2007 with 4 new snow tires (Pirelli Winter Something) and decided to see how the car handled in the morning snow / ice.

I expected to feel some feedback through the brake pedal when the ABS engaged ... similar to a tradition car with hydraulic brakes.

Instead, there is no pulsing feedback through the brake pedal. The VSC lights up until the car comes to a stop. I can certainly hear and feel the ABS activate but it is slow and very subtle. The car does stay straight and does not veer off. From a lot of reading, this appears to be the normal operations for ABS on a Prius.

Can you guys help confirm that this is normal?

Thanks

kenoarto likes this.
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes. That’s normal on a Prius. It does take some time to get used to it.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds normal for my 2010-2012 Prii. The ABS feels and sounds much different and smoother than my first car with ABS, a 1997 Subaru.

4. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ya, the ABS is quite smooth. There's a lot of technology happening when an emergency stop is used in the snow.