1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Driving Experience

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Diver Allen, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Diver Allen

Diver Allen Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here's a lesson I learned yesterday.

We got about 3 or 4 inches of new snow overnight. My 2013 v parks in the driveway because the garage is full of our other cars. I'm usually pretty diligent about getting all the windows cleaned of snow before pulling out of the driveway. I just don't get those people that I pass that are trying to see through some tiny little peepholes they have cleaned. But, I just didn't think too much about cleaning the snow off the roof of the car. Now I imagine the conditions have to be just right for this but yesterday they were. I pulled out onto the street with my wife along with me. We drove a block or two and then slowed down for a light. HA. A large sheet of intact snow from the roof just slid forward and completely covered the windshield! Fortunately it was soft enough that the wipers took care of it. I guess I'll be cleaning the roof off better in the future.

Regards,
    Allen

2. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Almost the same thing with our "v" but the piece was somewhat smaller than the windscreen; loud scraping noise as it slid forward over the screen to and off the hood....scared the "p**" out of my wife and I.....

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Don't be that guy...

Typical Landy Driver.jpg

4. wildfox

wildfox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    After the huge ice storm that hit southern ontario I was out driving on the highway and HUGE roof-sized sheets of ice were flying off people's cars. It took 2 or 3 days for the ice to finally break off my car's roof.

5. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Several years ago had the windshield broken badly on my 94 geo metro when a semi passed me going the other way around a corner. A large chunk of ice slid off the roof of his trailer into my car. Scared me pretty good, sounded like a hammer smacking the windshield! :eek:
    Don't miss those days, dealing with snow and ice in the winter. Love the rain much better. (y) :D

6. AEROENGR

AEROENGR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In Connecticut, the law requires that all ice and snow be removed from the car roof before driving. Also applies to tractor-trailers. Truckers have difficulty complying even if they can get on top of the trailers to sweep their slippery, snow-covered roofs. State police and news media are trying to make the public aware of the law.

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Was driving up to a ski resort in PA one afternoon on a two lane road and a block of ice broke loose from a 18-wheeler coming the other direction and shattered the windshield of my car. Pressed in several inches. Being young, we opened the side windows and hung our heads out and continued to the ski slopes.

I use a push broom to clean the snow off the horizontal surfaces of the car. Clean the drivers door, start the defroster and engine, then use the broom to push the snow off the other side. By the time the windshield is clear, the car is ready to go. Even works on a canvas convertible top.