1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Driving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Seven18x, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Seven18x

Seven18x New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 2012 Prius 4 and this will be my first winter coming up. I live in Upstate NY and over the past 8 years I've been driving a 5.7L Tundra. So this will be quite the change. I've read some tips and tricks about winter driving up here but I was wondering what you guys have encountered when your vehicle is as simply put....stuck. I have a long driveway and I'm sure I'll encounter a time where I'll be rocking back and forth. Do you guys suggest the sand/cat litter trick? Upside down floor mats? Or is there something I can buy online to attach to the tires that will get me out swiftly? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I carry a shovel and a bag of kitty-litter in the back, but the most important thing is to have a spare set of rims shod with decent snow tyres which are put on the car at the end of October and are changed back to the summer wheels at the end of April. (I'm in southern NH, but as they say YMMV! ;))

Mendel Leisk and Seven18x like this.
  3. Travis Decker

Travis Decker Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tire socks or dedicated snow tires!

Seven18x likes this.
  4. Seven18x

Seven18x New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you very much guys!

5. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've had very good luck with Blizzak tires on all 4 wheels. I've used these on my '04, '10, and now my '16.

WilDavis and Seven18x like this.
  6. Seven18x

Seven18x New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm definitely thinking Blizzak tires, just got a quote from my dealership. Now about these tire socks, I've never heard of them before, do you guys have any info on them? I tried doing some research but the sites were pretty vague.

7. Travis Decker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tire socks are very popular in Europe. Nobody uses tire chains there. They are super easy to put on and take off and work great and you can get them for about 80 bucks on Amazon

Seven18x likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've had this in my wish list for some time, on the fence:

upload_2017-9-29_9-18-5.png
    ^ Several reviews make mention of a strong rubber odor, which is off-putting.

Also, I'd second getting decent snow tires, on separate rims. These rims and lug nuts worked for me:

Corolla steel rim, part no: 42611-02471 (2003-2008 corolla or matrix, CE, LS, S)
    steel rim lug nuts, part no: 90942-01007 (plain, open-ended, galvanized)

Just waive the TPMS sensors, if it's possible in your location. If not, better read up on the issues.

#8 Mendel Leisk, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Seven18x likes this.
  9. Travis Decker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To the best of my knowledge it is illegal for repair shop to install Wheels without tire pressure sensors. I did a bunch of research on that last year and we stopped doing it. I think if you're going to get separate rims you need to get the sensors but they really aren't even that expensive if you get them on Amazon

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In Canada it's legal. That said, check with your State. One problem is annual inspections that'll fail you with a tpms warning, it varies state to state. Also, you may be able to get a tire shop to install regular valves on loose rims, not sure.

The expense is not just purchase of sensors, there's an ongoing need to reintialize the sensors, with EVERY change. Dealerships charge about $75 for this?

11. Travis Decker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Buy mini VCI do it yourself!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found a similar thing with the stinky chocks I bought from Harbor Freight, but the cure was to leave 'em bake in the sun on my balcony for a couple of days which fixed the problem in short order! ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tirerack has fast shipping with great prices. If you have crazy money, you can run glycol under your driveway and never shovel snow again. A boiler pumps warm/hot water through the pex. Zip tie snow chains for an emergency. Cdc says we are in for warmer wetter winters here in Maryland but anything could happen with weather. Block the grill so the engine stays within temp longer, less engine running=more mpg. Batteries that are warmer will also perform better.
    Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 10.15.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 10.18.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 10.21.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 10.06.44 PM.png

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you have the standard Prius IV size P195/65R15 tires, the AutoSock size is AS645.

They appear to be not a joke, and approved in 50 states.

I have a pair, but haven't used them. Like carrying an umbrella prevents rain, if you have autosocks in the back of the car, you don't get stuck.

-Chap

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For them, yes, in the U.S. For you, no.

Thus, you can have the shop mount tires on rims without sensors, then take the mounted tires home and put them on the car yourself. They don't have to ask you whether these are for a TPMS or non-TPMS vehicle.

But because TPMS has alerted me to 3 of the past 4 leaks, slow and fast (on two separate household vehicles), I'm going with keeping the systems functioning as intended.

Mendel Leisk and Travis Decker like this.
  16. Seven18x

Seven18x New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you so much everyone, this thread was extremely helpful!

Mendel Leisk likes this.