1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Feb 15, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm trying to watch the Winter Olympics but it's tough. I just don't get it.

Let me tell you where I'm coming from. A couple of thousand years ago, the Greeks organized competition. They took things key in life and made events of them. For example, throughout Greek Mythology and History, men wrestled to prove strength. Throwing a spear was important because it meant that you could kill food. Running was important because messages had to get from place to palce quickly. Even the shotput was an important show of brute strength.

So where does Curling fit into this? What's the deal with Mogul Skiing? Maybe - just maybe - the biatholon is important to Alaskans who must ski and hunt at the same time. But I just don't understand the vast majority of the Winter sports.

Someone please explain them to me.

2. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tony:

You may have already looked at this link but it gives an overview of history for the Olympics.

Olympic Games -Wikipedia

The growth is a combination of factors including the media coverage, increased interest combined with the inclusion of more and more different sports.

Cheers

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

all the inclusions get voted on by the OOC Olympic Organising Committee. Oh and running was for poor javelin throwers who only injured supper and were trying to be excluded from supper for it. Yes some of the games make you wonder. And were next.

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't get it either. I haven't watched any Olympics coverage this year yet and may not attempt it. I just have no interest in it I guess.

Interested in a Ladies of Curling calendar? I believe they just came out (heard a blurb about it on the radio this morning).

Curling Calendar info

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wow, I'd like to "curl" up with her! ;-)

Nate