1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Performance: Michelin - HydroEdge vs Energy Savers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BigFan, Oct 29, 2009.

1. BigFan

BigFan Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am in the market for new tires and am considering these two Michelin offerings.

Are there any thoughts on how the winter driving performance of the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires is likely to be relative to the HydroEdge tires?

Thanks!

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on the Consumer Reports November 2009 issue tire tests, if you want an all-season tire with the best snow handling and ice braking, then the tire to get is the Hankook Optimo H727.

The Hankook Optimo 727 is among the highest rated all-season tires in general. And for snow handling and ice braking, it rates as well or higher in snow handling and ice braking than most of the winter tires tested by Consumer Reports.

I think it's not available in the OEM tire size of 185/65R15. But it is available in the 195/60R15 size (which is the size I prefer anyway) at Sears (among other places) for only $85 each.

Note that because of the wider tread width and higher rolling resistance, plus the fact that these tires will be new, you should expect a drop in gas mileage compared to the OEM Integrities. But I think that eventually, the difference in gas mileage will be minimal (from my experience with the TripleTreds in the same size, I think the loss will only be about 2 miles a gallon).

The second best all-season tire for snow and ice is the Michelin Primacy MXV4. And it has the benefit of very low rolling resistance, so the gas mileage should be good.

Note that the snow handling performance of the Michelin HydroEdge is not good. Don't know about the Energy Savers as CR didn't test them.

Here are the reviews, recommendations and Ratings Charts for Consumer Reports November 2009 issue tire tests. I'd look it over carefully -- it's the best and most comprehensive tire tests available now:

[​IMG] Consumer_Reports_Nov._2009_Tire_Tests-1.doc

Good luck.