1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

winter performance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by unfanger, Sep 12, 2006.

1. unfanger

unfanger New Member

I have ordered a 2007 Drifwood Pearl #2 or #3. I am learning much as I wait patiently and studiously read these chats. I am a bit concerned about the bitter cold winters we can get here in Central Illinois. (though not last year) My questions are about the start up, warm up and defrost abilities of the car, coming soley from the battery. If I understand correctly, only the battery will be providing power until a certain speed is met?? With all previous cars, after being outside during the work day, I would go out and start it up-get that heater and defrost blowing to clean the windows and soon be sitting in a toasty car.

Also plan to get the leather seats and seat warmers in secondary market--will the seat warmers have any negative impact on the battery when trying to also warm the car? I assume this has all been engineered to perform at these conditions (and worse for our friends to the North), but am wanting confirmation as I leave my big old reliable Jeep Grand Cherokee that I have had for 13 years. Thank you!

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(klm @ Sep 12 2006, 06:02 AM) [snapback]318223[/snapback]</div>
    That misconception is fairly common still. There isn't really a threshold like that. What really happens is the battery feed is limited to 10kW and when the engine is hot. In other words, if you require more than just modest acceleration or the heater, the engine will run.

This will be winter #7 for my driving in Minnesota with a Prius. Having 6 years of experience already, I can tell you that there is nothing at all to be concerned about. You can even waste gas by forcing the engine to run for warm up before driving.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its been my experience in very mild weather that the defrost will make your car nearly all the time. sitting at the light with engine off. turn on the defrost, the engine will start up immediately.

heater, not as much, but i lived in MI (Port Huron) and trust me, you will be using the defrost a LOT. living in Western WA, the average humidity for the morning every day and most of the day during the winter is roughly 100%. i have one of those dessicant trays (sucks moisture out of the air) in the cargo hold. its the kind used for RV's and such. before i used it, i had to go and wipe the back window off about every other day. (used a bath towel and it picked up quiet a bit of water) not a huge fan of heat so car didnt have a chance to dry so you might not have that problem (winters rarely freeze here so not really that cold most of the time)

1 person likes this.
  4. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Consider installing a block heater. I've noticed improved MPG after it was installed (gained during the first 5 minutes of my morning drive to work.)

5. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Sep 12 2006, 07:59 AM) [snapback]318229[/snapback]</div>
    john...do you have your defroster running all the time while you drive in the very cold weather...I lived in Chicago and now New York...and am somewhat puzzled by what setting on the Climate control to use for winter cold...I know you said it is good to just start driving so the ICE warms up as you drive...but

what about the settings thereafter?? I don't need much heat for myself when I drive...don't like it, in fact, but do want clear windows....

terri

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My first winter with my 2004, I damn near froze in the car. And my condo has heated underground parking too! The Prius is so efficient, there isn't much "waste" heat to keep you toasty warm, especially in city driving at -40. The gas engine will also run constantly to give what meager heat it can, really killing your fuel economy at -40: 9.8 l/100km or around 28 MPG.

I finally solved that problem by making a winter front. The lower grille can be covered with any handy material, I used a black mill felt that blends right in. Per the suggestion of member Frank Hudon, to cover the two upper slits, I went to Home Depot and got a single piece of 1/2 inch foam pipe insulation. Something like 65 cents.

It's already slit down one side, just use a utility knife to slit the opposite side so you have two pieces. The pieces can then easily be shoved into the slits and trimmed to fit exactly. They also blend right in.

The second winter for my Prius, I had PLENTY of heat, the engine easily shut off at red lights - though not for very long at -40 - and my fuel economy was no worse than 7 l/100km or about 40 MPG.

I would never cover the radiator itself, that's risky unless you can keep tabs on the engine and inverter coolant temps. With the outside of the grille covered, the electric cooling fan can still run if necessary.

If you park in an unheated garage, or even worse outside, the block heater is a must. It's not a coolant heater, it sticks into a slot on the aluminum engine block to heat the metal itself. A coolant heater would work much better.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Sep 12 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]318305[/snapback]</div>
    Terri

I usually poke the Defrost button on the steering wheel and use the steering wheel temp button to fine-tune. To fiddle with the fan speed you have to poke the Climate button and adjust from there.

j

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Sep 12 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]318305[/snapback]</div>
    There is no "all the time" with anything I do in the Prius. For the defroster, I turn it on as needed. Most of the time just the regular blower on the glass and legs is all that I use. Climates warmer than Minnesota will definitely have different needs, so there is no blanket suggestion anyway.

The suggestion of foam blocking is something I'll even be looking into this year. Having extra heat available is a good thing.

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi KLM,

I have lived in the UP of Michigan, Chicagoland, and Central Illinois for several years at a time. Each area is somewhat different. The UP was the coldest and snowiest. Chicagoland can get just as cold, but only for a week at a time, versus two months or more in the UP. And Champaign/Urbana would only get below zero rarely.

I drove my Prius in Febuary here in Chicagoland. There really was no issue in the 0 to 10 degree weather with the cabin warming up - very similar to the Saturn SL2 I had previously. Fuel Economy was in the Mid 40's, for my 45 minute commute. As I understand, the Prius has a large electric heater (called a PTC for positive temperature coeficient heater), which suppliments the passenger compartment with the traction battery electricity until the engine warms up.

This was without blocking the upper grill opening. I will probably do that this year, and put the block heater in last weekend as well. The warmup to hybrid capabilities in the morning too a little over half the travel distance, versus 1/10 the travel distance in the present 65 degree F morning weather.

9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(klm @ Sep 12 2006, 07:02 AM) [snapback]318223[/snapback]</div>
    What is "bitter cold" to you? :)
    You will love this car in the winter. ABSOLUTELY NO crank crank, rrrrrr, shudder shudder, rough running for a while starting, EVER. Not even at 20 below. And you might not like the pain of seeing lower MPG numbers caused by your car going nowhere while you warm it up :) If you have to bundle up and haul yourself out to the car to start it, you might as well be driving instead of going back in the house, unwrapping yourself for n minutes, then getting prepped again for really leaving. As Tom and Ray (Click and Clack / Car Talk) say, drive it to warm it up, it will warm up faster than idling in the driveway.

One thing I wish Toyota would change: If the heat is on, auto climate selects air flow to the feet only. They obviously didn't consider people who never see the higher side of freeezing for months at a time when having some air going to the windshield is a must. If the "snowflake on the road (sorry, you '06 owners didn't get this. It signals the oustide temp is below 39 (37?) F so you know the road might be icing) icon is lighted, the default airflow should be defrost & feet. I end up spending the winter in "do it yourself" mode.

Make sure the after market covers are built for the side air bags.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Sep 12 2006, 12:19 PM)</div>
    I thought a blanket WAS the suggestion to warming up in the car ;)

I will also implement Jayman's suggested vent blocking and Dave's dessicant tray suggestions this year. Not much humidity after Jan 1 for a month or so but there is many a day outside the coldest part of winter that I have inside humidity. Nothing like scraping the INSIDE of your windows before you can drive off!!

Haven't quite gotten to the block heater yet. Not sure where the break even is with almost $0.13/KWH electric rates.