1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter rims

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Hookitlow, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Hookitlow

Hookitlow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I’m looking to get a set of rims to put winter tires. I know there’s a lot of info out there but am feeling overwhelmed.

I found a local set of factory gen 3 15” rims. I think there’s an offset difference to gem 4? Any chance to get them to work?

otherwise the best option I found is aftermarket steel wheels. Are there known issues with that?

I appreciate any info, just having a hard time parsing through the search results

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The offset is close enough, Gen3 wheels should work fine. I have an aftermarket steely for my full-size spare but I bought cheap MB ICON 15" alloy wheels for less than the cost of steely for winter tires. Have had them on my PP for the last 4 winters without issue.

Screenshot 2022-11-07 10.12.15 PM.png

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I went with this:

Corolla steel rim, part no: 42611-02471 (2003-2008 corolla or matrix, CE, LS, S)
    steel rim lug nuts, part no: 90942-01007 (plain, open-ended, galvanized)

One advantage of the Corolla rim, vs aftermarket: the hub opening is exact fit.

When purchased in 2010 the rims were $70 (CDN) apiece and a set of 20 nuts $31 IIRC.

I added a 2" ABS end cap (readily available hardware store plumbing item) as a make-shift centre cap. It keeps the hubs from rusting up, looks a little better.The cap fits slightly loose, but I fixed that by first pushing a rubber band (section cut from old bicycle inner tube) onto the hub opening flange, then squishing the cap onto it. They've never flung off. Also, I put a drop of oil on the exposed tips of the studs, again for rust prevention.

When the current snow tires wear out I do have a set of PIP rims I'll probably use next, dress it up. :)

This is on a 3rd gen btw, but I believe it's the same wheel specs, or very close.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Nov 8, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    Merkey likes this.
  4. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Another option for those who live in Canada is the Envy branded rims sold by Canadian Tire. I purchased these in 2020 for both cars for less than $70 CND per wheel. They weight about the same as the OEM rims and unlike the cheaper steel wheels, they do not rust and weigh a heck of a lot less, which is a bonus for my back when it comes time to do the seasonal wheel changing ritual.

The other plus is that these are lug-centric and as well fitting as the OEM wheels, requiring no additional hardware (lug nuts or spacers/shims).

20201013_173832.jpg

Mendel Leisk and Merkey like this.