1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Soldier

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dsunman, May 15, 2006.

1. dsunman

dsunman New Member

For those who care, I'd like to bring to your attention that one of the greatest achievements in documentary filmmaking ever coming out of USA will finally be released on May 30th. I think netflix will carry it as well.

Winter Soldier is a documentary which one experiences, instead of simply viewing. Over three days in January and February 1971, just a couple months before Lieutenant William Calley would be sentenced to life in prison for the My Lai Massacre (he would eventually serve less than four years), a group of Vietnam War veterans convened at a Howard Johnson in Detroit to testify about the atrocities they had witnessed or partaken in while serving in Vietnam. The conference was titled “The Winter Soldier Investigation,” after Thomas Paine: “These are the times that try men’s souls. The summertime soldier and the sunshine patriot will in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.”

Needless to say, the country didn’t stand up and thank the (mostly long-haired and disenchanted) vets for reminding them of the sinkhole of iniquity America had mired itself in overseas. The gut-wrenching, eye-opening stories delivered by hundreds of soldiers in that sterile hotel conference room were mostly ignored by the media, and would likely have sunk without a trace after being published in the Congressional Record. The testimony, however, was shot by a group called the Winterfilm Collective (including the future Academy Award-winning documentarian Barbara Kopple) and edited into a tight, 95-minute piece of scorching truth-telling that played around at some film festivals, colleges, and one small Manhattan cinema, before mostly disappearing from the scene.

WinterSoldierFilm

Winter Soldier 1972

:)

2. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

If we've learned one thing from Vietnam, I'm grateful/(hopeful?) that it's that we learned not to blame the soldiers for the wars we send them to.

My uncle doesn't talk about Vietnam, and we don't ask. My father says he never got his brother back after the war, even though he came home 'safe' (well, not dead) and sound. Thanks for the reccomendation.

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Netflix has it here.

Alternative news sources reported at the time that My Lai was not an isolated incident. It was the way the U.S. was conducting the war, and was condoned, if not actually ordered, at the highest levels. But war hysteria has a mob mentality and justifies any and all atrocities in its own mind. Lt. Calley was a fall guy for the higher-ups who were responsible for the policy. But he still murdered an entire village of innocent women and children in cold blood. And "following orders" does not justify cold-blooded murder. There were countless others doing the same thing, who had the good fortune not to get caught. But that does not justify Calley either.

5. Schmika

Schmika New Member

When one "dredges", one must be wiling to accept the subsequent fallout as well as the stink of the sludge.

I personally see no useful purpose in this dredging. (from MY point of view...others may differ)

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Last I looked, the documentary section is chock full of war/war crime DVD's from around the world...

Other than that, sounds interesting though, I'd watch it...