1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rpg51, Sep 7, 2008.

1. rpg51

rpg51 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does anyone know of any actual data regarding how tire pressures affect performance in snow? Ice? I've read some comments here on old threads but none seem actually based on any data or studies. I am convinced that higher then toyota recommended pressures increase mpg results and perform just fine in warm weather - but what about winter tires?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you get a lot of snow & ice you'll probably be happier with a set of winter tires on the car.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I've read several documents from tire manufacturers that say snow and ice tires work better with more pressure in them. With snow tires the reason is they will clear the snow out of the tread better. With ice you want the "proper pressure", which is usually "more when you air them up", because when it gets colder they loose pressure. You want them to have the correct pressure so you have even load across the tread, allowing the rubber to get maximum grip all the way across. When on ice you have much lower grip, so you want all you can get! ;)

I run 40 PSI front and 38 PSI rear in my "stock size" Nokian WR tires. Seems to work very well.