1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Tire Size

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JHEYDEN, Nov 18, 2010.

1. JHEYDEN

JHEYDEN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Toyota Prius and I would like to put a set of winter tires on my car(I'm in Canada). I sold my Civic and so I have a good set of Winter tires(size 185/65/14). I'm wondering if it would be safe to install these tires on the 2010 prius.(original size I think 195/65/15). I am OK if the speed is a little off but is it safe and will they fit?

Thanks

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you still in touch with the buyer? Maybe they'd be interested in your current snows.

To ask a really dumb question (better safe than sorry): are they even the same number of bolts? Also: we had some 15" 2006 5-bolt rims for our previous HCHII, but the c/c of bolts is different than Toyota, just for starters.

Even if they fit, that is quite a difference in outside diameter, and the rim is at least 1/2" closer to brake components. My 2 cents: not a good idea.

I'm going in tomorrow morning to get 195/65R15 snows for ours. Our stock tire is the 215/45R17, but according to the dealership the usual 15" size will do fine. Even with that swap there is a slight difference in OD, our stock 17" tire having circumference roughly 98% of the 15" OEM size.

They are going to use Toyota Corolla rim p/n: 42611-02471. They are not 100% sure it's compatible, and will check fit/clearances to be sure.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome! Here is a previous discussion.

Personally I would sell the tires and buy a set of steels with new snows tires on them. This is much better than having to swap twice a year (hard on the alloys). Plus you don't have to worry about getting into the shop.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the OP intends to use the civic rims, it can be real struggle getting 14" tires on 15" rims ;)

5. JHEYDEN

JHEYDEN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The snow tires are on steel wheels already and I already checked and the bolt pattern matches. I guess if it's not safe then I'll sell them and buy the proper 15" tires. It's just that you never really get any good money when you sell tires and up here in Canada tires are expensive

6. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As others mentioned, the real question is if they would clear the brake calipers.

You probably should have sold them with the Civic and bumped up the price a bit.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a few more bad things:

1. Rim offset. This is the dimension from the point-of-contact at back face of rim to the center of the rim. If it varies from stock the rim/tire assembly will be shifted in/out of the wheel well, and you could be stressing suspension and/or getting too close to something.

2. Rim hub hole inside diameter. If it's too big I believe you will need spacer rings to ensure the hub is properly centered. If it's too small, well: you're hooped. Not all cars/rims rely on this, but I suspect Toyota's do. Maybe someone more knowledgable can comment.

3. Rim lug nut seating: not sure, Honda vs Toyota, but there are variations.

Also, lug diameter. FWIW, I see my 19mm socket for Honda's is not fitting Toyota nuts: I think 21mm is the kosher size, but 13/16" is a slightly tighter fit, looks fine.

If you haven't already, you can dispel some of the question marks, by mounting at least one front and back yourself. But even if it fits, the above issues are hard to judge.

Between all that, the different tire od, the big investment you've made...