1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Tire Time - Should I buy 15s or 16s?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 13Plug, Oct 14, 2008.

1. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well I did a search for winter wheels and looked at a few threads but did not find my answer. We got 8 inches of snow on Sunday so it's time to shop for tires...

I just want to confirm with you guys that although I have the 16" "Touring" wheels the 15" rims should fit just fine. Is that correct?

The reason I ask is that rims & tires are usually a bit cheaper when you go down a size.

Based on the last 2 hours of researching on the net I'm leaning towards Nokian Hakkappeliitta tires (studless). I had Nokian WRs on my old Jeep and they were good but I want dedicated winter tires this time around.

What is the size recommendation for dedicated winter tires for 15" and 16"? I've yet to stop by Kal-Tire and ask about sizing. I just want to decide on 15" or 16" first and go from there...

Thanks.

2. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK well I checked out tire pricing at 1010tires. WOW!

195/55R16 (my stock size) is $911 plus tax
    185/65R15 (one size down) is $669 plus tax

So I definitely want to go with 15's now. Will they fit absolutely 100% for sure? I think they will. I was going to pick up multi-fit rims from Canadian Tire.

3. Romeo

Romeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am also shopping for winter tires and currently lean toward Haka R (advanced Haka RSi). I also want dedicated winter tires mostly because I am hauling two babies and don't want to take any chances. From what I understand, with 15s, you'll get slightly taller tires which makes the size of the wheels very close to 16s. So, I think there should be very little difference in tire performance on snow or ice. Not sure if there is any impact on mileage though.

Are you going to buy still rims as well? They have gone in price from $30 to $70 per wheel! And I was told that the KalTile will not install steel rims without pressure sensors due to safety concerns. The dealer said they will install the steel rims but the tire pressure light will be always on. Not sure how annoying that might be.

4. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm looking at the Hakk R's too.

There is virtually no difference between the two sizes I mentioned because the aspect ratio is different (tire sidewall height). The 16" tires rotate 824 revolutions per mile and the 15" tires rotate 825 revolutions per mile. That's a difference of 0.1%. You can't just pick any 15" tire, it has to be that size.

Anywho, yes, I'm definitely going with steel rims due to the fact that I have a garage and will change them myself in fall & spring. My TPMS light just came on the other day due to the drop in temperature and I don't find the light annoying so I'm going to ignore TPMS during the winter. I can live with the light being on.

Where did you get that price for steel rims? I was going to head to Cdn Tire today and ask about them. If they're not cheap there then I'll shop around.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Have you checked out Canadian Tire for a winter tire/wheel package? They have good winter tires, I'm running studded Goodyear Nordic. They also carrry the General Altimax Arctic, which looks like a Nokian copy, and can also be studded

At least here in Manitoba, there is a sale on now at Canadian Tire for the Altimax and Nordic, around $10 a tire off

Make sure to pick up a set of the proper "acorn" style lugnuts for the steel wheels. The Toyota lugs will loosen up on the steel rims, at least they did for me. I got my acorn lugnuts at Napa, paid $20 or $1 each

6. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just got back from Cdn Tire. Rims are $68.99 each, they only have 15".

The Goodyear Nordics are $362 for a set of 4, a heck of a lot cheaper than the Nokian tires. I'm going to have to read some reviews of that tire now and decide...

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The 15" combination will usually be lighter, and so you may get better mileage. Other than that, no difference other than cost. Either size will fit just fine. If Kal Tire won't mount the things take them to somebody else to mount. Lack of TPMS is not a "safety" issue. It's a convenience. You can still ignore the light and drive on a flat!

As I've posted in other threads, I went with Nokian WRs and don't change them out for summer. I'm happy with that choice. They work just fine in snow and on ice here in Edmonton.

You must be in Saskatchewan eh (a little Canadian for our American friends to snicker at). :) We didn't get any of that snow. In fact , it's still above freezing, though not much (where's that wood to knock on?).

8. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, I'm in SK. I had Nokian WR's on my Jeep and they were OK but I want to keep the good low-rolling resistance tires for summer and get dedicated winter tires this time. I have room to store them and a jack anyway so no big deal.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Nordic tires simply because they're $300 cheaper. $300 will buy me a lot of gas in my other ride, a HEMI RAM ;-) I just picked up a new Ram too so if the roads are really bad I'll just drive it.

9. firepilot17

firepilot17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tirerack.com has a recommended tire/wheels for the Prius for winter driving. None of you mentioned the one they suggest. I can't post the link since I'm a noob. Continental something...

10. Romeo

Romeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The main reason why I switched to the Nokian tires few years ago is because in addition to outstanding winter performance I found somewhere that Nokian winter tires (not all-season) should last for at least 80,000. All North American brands only were good for 40,000 (including Goodyear). I've used my first RSi's for appx 40,000 of winter driving already (70% on dry roads) and they still have more than half of the thread. Maybe I will do another research again to see if the cheaper brands are as good.

11. earlrosebery

earlrosebery New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    We just received our 2009 Prius. It has 195/55/16 tires. (Same as 2008 Touring model).. I priced winter tires (Michelin X ice at the dealer and at OK tire. They run about Can $160-180 each. Steel rims are another 80 each. The dealer wants $600 to purchase and register sensors.

Questions. Is it perfectly safe to substitute 15 inch rims with 185/65/15 winter tires the saving is about $180. Is it better to buy rims or switch tires on the existing rims twice a year? I understand that the pressure sensor light will come on in the winter but that doesn't worry me because I've driven without them for the last 50 years.

12. firepilot17

firepilot17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I plan on putting the tires on from the middle of November to the middle of March. I'll have to look into the tires you guys use...and see where I can get some.

13. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe it's just me but I think the X-Ice tires are overpriced. Save some cash and get the steel rims for $68.99 each at Cdn Tire, and the Goodyear Nordics for $362 plus install/tax. I'm 99.9% sure now that's what I'm doing. I can't justify an extra $300 for a marginal increase in winter performance. Plus the Goodyear Nordics accept studs so if you find you need a bit better traction, just pay the $25 a tire or whatever and get studs installed.

Oh, but to answer your question. As long as the 15" tires have the same height/circumference then you can use them, sure, I will be running 15's. I'm buying seperate rims because if *anyone* is swapping tires on factory rims twice a year it seriously increases the chances of damaging the TPMS sensors. And I don't think it's good to have tires taken on and off of rims that often. That may be a figment of my imagination, I do not know. Don't forget the factory aluminum wheels corrode due to any salt in the winter.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As long as the tire OD is the same, you can safely use the 15 inch wheels/tires in place of the upgraded 16 inch ones

I don't see the sense in paying extra for TPMS for the winter tires. The Prius can only use one set of TPMS sensors at a time, so you will have to pay the dealer to register the different wheels with the car. That adds up

15. rogerDB

rogerDB New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm going to try the continental tires at tire rack, we have more dry road days then snow days here in Spokane, but when we do get snow I need more than an all season and these sound pretty good.

16. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was lookin through my new Motor Trend magazine and there was a 2 page ad for Discount Tire Direct. They sell winter/snow tires mounted on steel wheels shipped to your door. 15 and 16 inch. I think their website is www.discounttiredirect.com

17. Reid

Reid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just purchased from Tire Rack a wheel and tire combo. I purchased alum. wheels and Bridgestone Blizzak WS60. Very reasonable price, delivered 2 days after order, free mounting and balancing. Great service and very reasonable price, $698 which includes shipping.

18. rpg51

rpg51 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    David, if I lived in Edmonton I'd go with the all season option too. But here in Vermont I prefer full bore aggressive snow tires - its all the hills and steep driveways around here that push me over to the snow tire route.

I just ordered an extra set of used original equipment toyota 15" alloy wheels and a set of the new Nokian R tires. Not cheap. But, they will probably last 4 winters or more and I am hoping the original equip Goodyears will last just as long as summer tires.

Are you folks planning to pump your winter tires up? I've been running 60/58 with the integrities. Any reason not to do the same with the Nokian winter tires?

19. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2 Pri's running 16's with snows. New snows have lighter wheels vs. stock since I could not find extra set of 16 touring wheels. Dunlops on 1st set Conti's on 2nd set.
    Car works ok in up to 5" of snow then park it. Can't rock it due to governor/wheel spin control. So when your stuck your stuck. It does pull out easy if you carry 30' of rope.
    Use black duct tape on TPMS warning light.

20. rpg51

rpg51 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is a routine you can use to turn off the Traction Control temporarily. Its spelled out somewhere here - need to do a search. It is a diagnositic tool and a warning is given not to drive the vehicle after turning off TC. But, some people do anyway. There is apparently the potential for significant damage to the vehicle if you over spin the wheels.