1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Tires - TPMS

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by Porsche998, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Porsche998

Porsche998 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We just got our Prius and are quite happy with it. However, the one item that I was disappointed in was the TPMS system and the need to reset the system with a set of winter tires on different rims. I was told today that the TPMS system in the car has a memory for two sets of tires. As long as one buys the TPMS systems for each winter tire, then when the Toyota tech is registering the winter tires, his system shows an option for a 2nd set of tires on the Diagnostic Menu Tire Pressure/ Utility Registration Tire Set.

Now my question is two fold-
    Can someone tell me if this setup is correct and secondly, if correct, after registering the second set of tires, when putting back on the summer tires, do you have to do anything with the TPMS or does it at all times recognize two sets of tires?

Thanks

2. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have heard that the Prius TPMS system has memory for only 1 set of four tires, and changing to/from snow tires would always require a trip to the dealer.

I have snow tires on non-TPMS rims, and the only drawback is that after a long drive (more than 1 hour or so) with the non-TPMS tires the tire pressure warning light comes on, and then stays on for a few days before turning off again. I don't know if it cancels itself or if my car eventually reads the sensors on the TPMS tires in the shed near where the car is parked.

I'd not worry about TPMS in the snow tires, and just keep watch on inflation the old-fashioned way...

Walt Morris

3. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If winter wheels don't get to see the TPMS sensors on summer wheels light will stay on all winter. Get small pice of black duct tape. Put it over light till spring.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The car registers only one set of sensors, unless something has changed this year.

Tom

5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    As others indicated, I have always heard the car can only have one set of sensors registered to the car. Therefore, if you want it to work on your winter tires, you would need to transfer them along with the tires. Not really worth the effort & cost, IMHO.

I just have two sets of rims, and my winters do not have sensors. As I park in the garage next to the rims, most of the time the TPMS system is happy for the first hour of driving or so when it "wakes up" and realizes the sensors are not there. The light blinks for 30 seconds (?) or so, then stays on solid. I originally planned to cover it up, but after two winters, I find it is pretty easy to just ignore, so I didn't bother.

It's really unfortunate that Toyota didn't build some sort of override feature into the computer for those choosing to use a second set of rims.

6. earlrosebery

earlrosebery New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    we installed winter tires yesterday, on new steel rims without sensors, So far, the warning light has obligingly remained off. If it comes on we will ignore it. The dealer wasn't clear on whether 4 new sensors plus programming was $300 or $600 so we went to an independant tire shop.

7. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    On my 2008, the TPMS light only goes on if the car doesn't recieve data from the sensors for at least 55 minutes after the car is started. Since I keep the stock wheels in the garage near the car that means the light very rarely goes on. If I drive 45 minutes away from home, turn off the car, then drive home the light never goes on.

If I take a trip longer than 55 minutes or so, the light goes on. The next time I park the car near the stock wheel the light goes off again.

8. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Can you take off the sensors and put them onto rims that are able to accept the sensors?
    I want to use my stock wheels for the winter, and replace them with a decent summer wheel...but still the same factory size.

9. rpg51

rpg51 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pretty sure you could remove the sensors (stems) and install them in a second factory or otherwise compatible wheel, but you would have to remove the tire from the wheel to get the sensor (stem) off the wheel. Not sure but I think that is the situation.

10. nssdiver

nssdiver Me digging' life

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    What is required to register new TPMS sensors (in my take-off snow tires)? Can I do this myself, or does it require a trip to a dealer? If so, what do they charge to re-register different TPMS sensors? I'm >90% thrilled w/ my new (to me) Prius, but that 5-10% I'm not happy with are really pretty stupid things...

11. maxjlone

maxjlone New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    IV
    All in all, I'm pretty happy with the TPMS on our GM. Sure, I had to spend an extra $300 for the second set of sensors for the winter wheels, but it's only a one-time expense.

I'm also glad I don't have to go back to the dealer for the sensor re-learn every spring and fall. With the GM system, you can reset the sensors by simply letting air out of the tires in a preset pattern. Works fine for me when I do my own changeovers.

12. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a set of used Touring rims for my '08 and will be getting them installed next week- Will the tpms fit the 16 inch touring rim? I had planned on just swapping the tpms from the old rims to the new, and selling the 15 inch rims with the tpms that were in the 16 inch.

13. sashields

sashields New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also have a question for you guys.
    I put winter snow tires on today, with different rims/wheels, as mounting would cost 80$ everytime.
    I bought the TPMS sensors for the new set of wheels, but after driving for 20 min, the light came on.
    I called the dealer and the service dept told me it would cost $120 to have the new sensors calibrated to the car, which is probably ok, but only if I have to do it once. Will I have to do this every time I switch from summer to winter wheels? Or will the car computer system store the sensor code for the winter wheels and the summer wheels?

14. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From the service manual:
    (e) When replacing the tire pressure warning valve and
    transmitter:
    (1) Make a note of the 7 digit number (transmitter
    ID) written on the tire pressure warning valve
    and transmitter when replacing it. Register the
    transmitter IDs in the tire pressure warning ECU
    after replacing the tire pressure warning valve
    and transmitter and installing the tires and
    wheels on the vehicle.
    NOTICE:
    The transmitter ID is written on the tire
    pressure warning valve and transmitter and
    it will be unable to be read after installing the
    tire pressure warning valve and transmitter
    on the tire and wheel. Therefore, make a note
    of the transmitter ID before installing the tire
    pressure warning valve transmitter.
    2. IN CASE OF TIRE AND WHEEL REPLACEMENT
    (a) When tires and wheels are replaced, always be sure
    to register the transmitter ID correctly.
    3. FAIL-SAFE FUNCTION
    (a) When a system malfunction occurs in the tire
    pressure warning system, the tire pressure warning
    light blinks and informs the driver of the system
    failure.
    (b) The result of this diagnosis is stored in the tire
    pressure warning ECU.
    (c) Precautions about tire pressure:
    • Tire pressure decreases naturally over time.
    • In winter, tire pressure may decrease due to low
    ambient temperature (tire pressure decreases by
    approximately 10 kPa (0.2 kgf/cm2, 1.45 psi) for
    every 10°C (50°F) drop in the ambient
    temperature). Therefore, the tire pressure
    warning is more likely to operate if the tire
    pressure are not adjusted appropriately. If the
    daily temperature variation is large, pressurize
    the tires high so that the tire pressures are
    suitable under cold conditions. Incorrect tire
    pressure warning operation becomes less likely

15. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My dealer told me that it is only possible to register 1 set of TPMS sensors to a car, and that to reprogram the car to another set would cost $125. I asked if I could do it myself with a scantool, and he said they needed a special tool to do it. This means that swapping out winter wheels would cost $250 per year - guess I'll go the electrical tape route ...

nssdiver likes this.
  16. det97

det97 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought the Reset tool for my winter tires. I think it was 125 from tirerack.com. The car can only hold one set at a time, but the tool can download a copy from the car and install a new set from the tool to the car. It took maybe 30 minutes of brute force troubleshooting to get it right. Yes I am an IT guy.

17. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can get the ATEQ tool and change the IDs yourself. Not sure what the tool resales for, but in a year it'd probably pay for itself. Or you can get a TechStream cable and use the TechStream software and update them that way.

To program a set for $125 is asinine. My dealer quoted $50 and that even seemed high to me. It takes them maybe 15 minutes if they have the IDs to program.

18. vitalium

vitalium New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  19. .paul.

.paul. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III