1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by glenspoorr, Oct 16, 2005.

1. glenspoorr

glenspoorr New Member

I will be purchasing 4 snows for the Maine winter. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Should I go with what the dealer recommends or go somewhere else?

2. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My Recommendation

Keep your regular tires and come here.

(Add your Location and Year/Model Prius)

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unless you have a very exceptional dealer I would think you could do better elsewhere. Why not start with Tire Rack, see sponsors on this site, I have used them and was pleased with their service. You may find the shipping charges negate any savings but at least you will get some ideas and they do have good tires.

4. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Patrick Boase likes this.
  5. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Check out my post below re: Dunlop Graspic DS-2. They are a pure winter tire.

Best price in the Waterville area was Tire Warehouse, they even had the plain steel rims for the best price. FWIW, the dealer reccommendation was the DS-2.

I priced Nokian, but they were over $100 more. I don't know if they give $100 more performance or not.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I went with the Dunlop Graspic DS-2 primarily for cost and due to the fact my condo association prohibits studded tires in the underground heated parking. There is a special seal coat on the cement slab and they're worried that studded tires would chew it up.

I have used Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 and Nokian studded tires on other cars. The Dunlop has almost all the snow traction and most of the ice traction of a Blizzak and is cheaper. Similar snow performance to a Nokian studded tire, but the Nokian is better on polished ice.

If you have to drive in "real" winter conditions, a "real" winter tire (The "severe service" winter snowflake symbol) is much better than even a premium "all season" tire. If they keep you out of the ditch or especially out of a crash, they are worth every penny.

7. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the DS-2 a "real" winter tire? I priced those out yesterday along with the WS-50's on tirerack. I'm going to check prices locally too.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I won't be using them this winter. There was vandalism at my condo and they were slashed, so back to square one.

The Graspic has a very soft and squishy tread, it sure wouldn't last long if driven in warm temps. Just like the Blizzak and most other "studless" tires.

9. mrv

mrv Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You could always go with what the dealer recommends. Just shop around at your local tire stores to be sure that you are getting the best price.

I bought a set of 4 Nokian WRs for both of my Prius through the Prius group buy (see: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11252 ), but I haven't even taken the shipping plastic wrap off of them yet (came in via FedEx today - I placed my order on 10/12) so I can't give you a review of them...

If you have a Classic Prius, chances are that your dealer will suggest via a TSB to use the Bridgestone Blizzaks (I think the WS50).