1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

winter tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by elcr, Aug 14, 2007.

1. elcr

elcr Junior Member

Does anyone have experience with winter driving and a suggestion on best tires for snow and dry driving?

2. Weinerneck

Weinerneck New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elcr @ Aug 14 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]495344[/snapback]</div>

Nokian Nordman 1, on all 4's

We live in Western NY (below Buffalo) and get lots of snow, live on back roads with hills and what not. My wife is a visiting nurse and is all over the county and has had very little trouble in the most extreme conditions. She love's the car and tires in the winter and feels comfortable heading out in the worst of weather.

2005 Seaside Pearl
    2 years old, 60,000 plus miles

3. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elcr @ Aug 14 2007, 07:59 AM) [snapback]495344[/snapback]</div>
    Do you really think that this is an appropriate item to be discussed in the "Prius & Hybrid News" forum????

(Next time try using the "Prius Technical Discussion" or "Prius Main Forum" section.)

Keith :unsure:

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Suggestion. Search tool: Type in the word snow. Read. Oh! Welcome to P.C. :p

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My 2004 is one of the "problem" Prius cars with the hypersensitive traction control system. I've had the best luck with my studded Goodyear Nordic directional winter tires, sold by Canadian Tire. It's the same tire as the EU Goodyear Ultra Grip 500

http://eu.goodyear.com/home_en/tires/repos...p?page=benefits

I should warn you this tire is *very* noisy on dry pavement, it really howls. On snow and ice, you'll be thankful you have them on. They also work well on wet roads during spring thaw, the directional design appears to do a good job evacuating the water.