1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter v. Summer Wheel Decision

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by car compulsive, Sep 13, 2011.

?
  1. Keep the stock 15" wheels for summer and buy inexpensive 15" winter wheels

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Buy nicer 15" wheels and better tires for summer and put 15" winter tires on the factory wheels

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Upgrade to 16" wheels and better tires for use and put winter tires on the factory wheels

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Upgrade to 17" wheels and better tires for summer and put winter tires on the factory wheels

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a new Two with the "lovely" stock 15" wheels and hubcaps. I value a smooth ride and feel the car is currently OK in that respect. However, the factory GY tires seem to hydroplane too easily in the rain. Also, the factory 15" wheels simply look too small for the car. I will need a dedicated set of 15" winter wheels and tires in a couple months. What do you suggest I do? Vote in the poll and provide suggestions. Thanks!

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I voted for the larger summer wheels. The car will handle MUCH better and feel more sporty as well as look cooler. You'll suffer a mpg hit but the cost per year from that hit is usually under $150 depending on fuel prices.

If your goal is the best mpg possible then keep the oem 15s on the car with the best LRR summer tires mounted on them. Then search for a used set of 15" wheels off another Prius or other vehicle with the same bolt pattern and offset. Then mount your winter tires on the new wheels. The Nokian WR and Michelin Ice tires are a good LRR choice for snow. The Hankook H 727 is good for wet weather and lighter snow.

3. cmrj

cmrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In general, 16" wheels and tires will likely cost and weigh less than 17s, but provide some improvement in ride and handling over the 15s, look better than 15s, and help to minimize any mpg hit.

4. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I think the 17s look right on this car! I like the wheels on the new Prius Plus PKG Prius PLUS Package