1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winterization???

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by SwhitePC, Jan 4, 2015.

1. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've never experienced having a vehicle in a state with subfreezing temps and I might be about to.

So...

What would I need to do to my C (for those of you who are living daily with snow right now), to prepare it for some harsh winter weather/temps?

Thank you

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    make sure your ww fluid is freeze proof. snow tyres if you must get to work in any event. block heater, or remote starter if you like it toasty warm when you climb in. grille blocking for faster warm up and maintain temp more easily.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Winter tires are a good investment (if it saves you from one collision over its lifetime, it pays itself off) if you're planning to stay in that State for a few years. Use separate rims cause it's a one-time investment and you can change the tires yourself with the season or if you take it into a tire shop, it's way cheaper if the winter/summer tires are on their own rims.

An engine block heater is nice if you can plug it in at home/work. (Yes it requires you to be outside in the cold to plug it in but it results in a faster warm-up for the engine and therefore quicker heater and minimises the wear & tear on your engine).

Get a snow brush and an ice scraper.

When you get into the car, get into the habit of cleaning your headlights with your gloves (either brushing the snow off so you can see or if it's dirty, using some snow to clean it).

Don't lower the car during the winter if you get lots of loose snow.

Adjust your driving to the conditions.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    -4°F on the drive home this evening. It was no big deal, when properly dressed.

As for the Prius, none of my winters here in Minnesota have had any winterization beyond just blocking the grille. It's $2 and 20 minutes worth of work that quickly pays for itself. The purpose is to help retain heat. That's important for both keeping the MPG from dropping too much and for keeping the cabin warm.

If you're going to be living in a metro area (like the Twin Cities), there's no need for winter tires. I don't know anyone around here who uses them. It's the all-season type for us. Just ensure there's a decent amount of tread on the them.

5. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    so the stock turanza tires (still plenty of thread left) should be alright for careful driving in snowy streets?

and

I don't need to add any sort of anti-freeze fluids to anything (coolant fluid, etc...) other than the windshield wiper fluid?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    coolant is protected everywhere, afaik.

7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All I had to do was change my tires and make sure I had non-freezing windshield washer fluid.

8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "No need" is a subjective term. Everyone has the right to do their own risk-assessment where their own interests are concerned, but that one day when your tires fail you, it might have been well worth the investment of winter tires.

I've driven on all-season tires year-round for many years, but what changed my mind were a few close-calls which magnified the difference (in my mind) between poor traction on ice and better traction on ice.

9. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    main thing is get a set of good snow tires, consumer reports and tire rack are good references. likewise check antifreeze temerature condition, cheap specific gravity and adjust as needed. yes windshield washer fluid as well as windshield wipers. make sure you have good scraper to remove ice.
    make sure your oil is 20W synthetic, remote starter perhaps.and perhaps a windsield cover at nite to avoid cleaning ww and windows.
    personally, I block part of my grill to avoid overcooling. split pipe insulation pieces work great.
    good luck.

10. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All I had to do was change my tires and make sure I had non-freezing windshield washer fluid.

Blocking the radiator, plugging in the block-heater, putting on tire-chains; these are all extreme measures which I rarely have to consider.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    buy some gortex.:cool:

12. jymetcalf

jymetcalf New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I want to add my vote for snow tires. Have had separate tires and rims for our last two vehicles (one a Civic and one a non-Prius hybrid) and will be getting some for our new C before next winter. Advantages include a longer tire life for your summer treads and more importantly—providing that extra traction when you really wish you had it. Standard "eco-tires" are built for excellent mileage, but don't offer a lot of confidence (or traction) when the snow starts falling.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Snow tires don't cost that much. Mainly the cost of extra rims, say $300 all-in, for extra steel rims. But the extra tires don't really cost: they extend the life of your regular tires. Plus, your precious alloys are off the car through winter, keeps them in better shape, and you can polish them up.

14. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I vote for ice-tires. Snow is a problem, but the real risk in my opinion, is losing traction on ice.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Need means if you don't have them, you won't make it home or up the hill or across the driveway. That's a clear measure without opinion.

This evening, we had that really light snow with just a touch of moisture. It's great for skiing, not so great for commutes. I got home without any issue. Need fulfilled.

Wanting more is perfectly fine, but that's different.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    John, issues come in many forms, not just whether or not you got home. Your stopping distance, and all sorts of maneuvering, will be worse with an all season than a snow. Even on bare roads, any time temps are below +7C.

17. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I consider such "needs" to be part of a risk-management strategy. I'm betting they could save my life some day.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  18. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Is the road conditions, weather, driving bad this time of year going along I-80...especially in those mountainous regions from Utah to Colorado (rocky mountains)?

19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't consider it good or bad, but the risks have to be balanced against the need. For example, if the roads were icy, and I were driving through the mountains to go shopping, I'd probably call it off. However, if for example, I were going to my daughter's wedding, I would probably take the risk.

20. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    so...if I get winter tires...

1) Should I just be ready for the whole trip and put them on in Cali and do all my i-80 up to the great lakes in the winter tires (even though I won't encounter snow on some portions of the trip)?

or

2) Do I wait until I'm getting closer to the snowier regions to put on the snow tires, so as not to wear them out or lose too much MPG on those portions of dry road?

...I know, I picked a sh1tty time to relocate. And just read up on some 20+ vehicle accident on i-80 in Iowa that happened a few hours ago and trying to absorb as much info about snow driving as possible

and also a question about snow chains/cables...would they be needed on top of the winter tires in those parts with harsh snow? or will winter tires suffice? ATM I'm looking at some michellin X-ice xi3 (since $70 off through costco through the 28th), are they good/okay compared to the blizzaks?

#20 SwhitePC, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015