1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winterization

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tlyke1983, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Tlyke1983

Tlyke1983 Red Sonja

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would like to be ready for winter ahead of time this year. Any suggestions on how I can do this? I also would like to know if anyone has a preference for mats, mudflaps, fluids, tires etc.

Thanks

Tamara

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tlyke1983 @ Oct 10 2006, 01:08 AM) [snapback]330479[/snapback]</div>
    I usually like to wax the car this time of year, and check everything. If it's getting close to time for an oil change, I'll usually go ahead and do that while it's warm since I DIY. With other cars, I like to run a can of deicer through the fuel system before I encounter sub-freezing weather, but I haven't done that with our Prius since I'm a little more cautious about that fuel bladder. The idea there being to remove any collected moisture from the tank.

I keep the same tires on, but it doesn't snow much here in Raleigh (but I will be visiting up North), and I have the mudflaps to help more with gravel and tar, and would recommend them. I keep the carpet mats in year around, but if I lived in a worse climate I'd probably swap those out for some of the vinyl ones that are like a tray. And don't forget the blue antifreeze stuff for the windshield washers.

3. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota Prius C have no temperature/heat gauge? Not that I am worried about over heating, but would be nice to know when it is ok to turn the heat on. I usually just freeze/drive for 15 minutes then turn it on.

Also, if I turn the car on and let it idle/warm up it shuts off because it thinks it is at a stop light. I usually have to put the fan on low to keep the car from turning off. Is there a way around this? How does remote starts get around this?

Also does anyone know of any Prius C recalls?

Does the owners manual talk about either of the above? I am sure that one of the above have been discussed in a previous forum. Can someone point me in that direction?

Thanks.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What do you mean? If you say that you drive without heater for 15min and only then turn the heater on then why? Of course you should use the heater from the start (if you need heat).

If the car thinks it’s hot enough to turn engine off why would you want to keep engine running?

Also why did you post this on gen 2 forum? There is Prius C forum here as well.

#4 valde3, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @tgpii I miss too, that there's no coolant temperature display gauge, on any Prius. Any econo-car will have this, poor, corner-cutting decision.

And yeah, per @valdezcb , you're "raising the dead", and in second gen Prius forum. Oh well, most people just look at "what's new" anyway.